Wired doorbell to trigger wireless button?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I have a one year old property with a nice perfectly fine doorbell in the hall a few feet from the front door. I also have an office at the back of the garden and as such i cant hear the doorbell. I have a single bell wireless doorbell and button but i was thinking if i can take the fact that the existing wired button is making a circuit in the wired ringer then i must be able to use that to trigger the battery operated wireless transmitter button. I understand there is a transformer involved so i am looking for guidance on how i could fettle a workaround to set off the wireless doorbell?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Tony.

Sponsored Links
Can you solder?
Have you dismantled the wireless button yet?

Sponsored Links
Can you solder?
Have you dismantled the wireless button yet?

I can indeed and no, not yet ! I am capable of doing the work I'm just not sure of what needs to go to and from where ! thanks for any guidance.

Last edited:
Ding Dong wired door bell with the wireless button where the ding hammer hits, simple mechanical link.
Nice idea, I still need the bell to ring in the house as we have three floors but actually i could buy a cheap twin ringer wireless and ring upstairs and the bottom of the garden as well as half the original ringer ?? hmm . . interesting, i will need to have a better look at the ringer, thank you.

Ok this is an option but it would mean buying both the button/extender and another byron ringer to make it work. I am a little confused by the instructions listed and the wiring, I need to check my door bell, I don't have any instructions so i would only assume there is a transformer involved but i am not sure where it would be, maybe i will drop in a quick photo in case anyone can shed some light.

Here are a couple of pictures, I realised when taking the picture of the ringer i must have a transformer but as the button is on brick and the wires come out of the wall i thought it must be at the fuse box and sure enough, on the wall . . .
So if anyone can guide me on if i can jump any of these wires into the wireless button to set it off then I'm good to go without any additional spend and there is plenty of room inside where the battery space is ! Many thanks.

Tony - You cannot just use the existing doorbell button to trigger a wireless one because there will be a voltage across the button when it is not pressed and this will upset the wireless switch. There are ways round it but the easiest route is to buy two wireless doorbells and set the code so that one button triggers both units.

We all know what the inside of a ding-dong chime and the outside of a bell transformer look like.
Show us the wireless button - that's the interesting part.

Tony - You cannot just use the existing doorbell button to trigger a wireless one because there will be a voltage across the button when it is not pressed and this will upset the wireless switch. There are ways round it but the easiest route is to buy two wireless doorbells and set the code so that one button triggers both units.
And not knowing about voltages and transformers is why i came here and didn't just connect the wires, I knew there would be power there but not knowing is my usual way of getting into trouble. I was hoping to find a way of bridging the two just because i can, of course i can go and buy more kit and throw away the stuff i already have but i would rather attempt to make this work, I like the idea of making things work i just don't have the technical knowledge to stop me getting into trouble or creating little blue flashes :) I like the idea of using the hammer to push the button, an actual solution that i can see working without buying more kit but that would need some nifty method of mounting the button? I am sure there is a way to use the signal coming from the existing kit to create a circuit in the transmitter button . . . so as requested . . time to open it up and post some pictures, and there was me thinking everyone would know what the inside of a wireless doorbell button looks like ! :)

Thanks all

Now we are talking, great find, thank you, I like the set up apart from the fact if someone jabs the bell it doesn't always work as the wireless push needs time to power up before the always on button sends the signal. I am really happy with leaving the battery in the wireless push so if i can find a way of simply completing the circuit in the button when the internal ringer goes off then we would be there, if not i can see me going this route, many thanks!

I done similar for a freind.
Not sure of the make, think it was likely friedland, they made a hand held push button transmitter that you could walk round with, you could buy it seperate from the wireless chime/reciever.
It would need to match the frequency of your unit.

Inside it has two designated connections, normally open, that when shorted transmitted a signal to activate the wireless bell.

As the other poster said, you cannot just connect anything across the wired bellpush due to the voltage present

Inside your wired bell theres loads of room, were there is no batteries, so inside there i put a small normally open relay across the supply terminals that become live when the wired buttons pressed.
The coil needs to match the output voltage from your newlec transfomer, possibly 8 or 12 volt ac.

The handheld transmitter has slots to hang on the wall so i mounted it next to the wired bell box, but you can locate it nearby out the way, just longer cable between.
I then took a two core small cable, from the transmitter, 2 normally open terminals, into the bell box and onto the 2 normally open contacts on the small relay.
So now you press the wired button, wired bell ding dongs as normal, but as its pressed it closes the relay, in turn shorting the 2 designated contacts in the transmitter, transmitting the signal and operates the wireless, receiver/ bell

This was about 15 years ago and struggling to find the transmitter on the net, but its possible there still made or something similar.
The idea was you could take the button in the garden or shed and still call the maid or whoever if needbe, it had like two rubber hooks on it too so you could just hang it up wherever you liked.
The receiver chime box was portable too, and you just sat it on a table, or say in the shed, while the girlfriend sat on the sofa with the button transmitter.

You can do it by opening your wireless push, seing what the button activates, if it just shorts 2 points, then connect with small wire the same 2 points across your normally open relay, put the wireless push and the relay in the wired bell box out of sight

Last edited:
normally open relay

I'm about to start on another of my missions to educate forum members about the new-fangled invention called the "transistor".

The coil needs to match the output voltage from your newlec transfomer, possibly 8 or 12 volt ac.

I suspect that when the chime's solenoid is activated the voltage will drop substantially. He'll need to measure what voltage is actually present across the solenoid when the button is pressed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back