wireless alarm systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
are there any drawbacks re a wireless vs wired alarm system wrt security?
Is the alarm box operated by a stand alone battery? if so, how long will it last?

Sponsored Links
Wireless Technology is much better now, logn life batteries, panels that tell you where the problem is and proper frequency.

You can add on later and tak it with you too.

Some sirens have long life batteries (EG Visonic) others us a transformer (ESP)

If you want any more help lety me know,

wireless would be more convenient but i just happened to be passing a police station so went in and asked if they had any recommendations. they put me in touch with the security section who explained the national security inspectorate test systems and recommend any which pass their tests. they have given me 3 in our area so i think i will take caution over convenience and take their advice. thank you once again, nairb

Wireless alarms can be installed by NSI approved companies.
If the 3 recommended by the police don't install wireless systems then ask around for some who do.

As for the Police recommendations..

The Police will recommend someone they know usually an ex copper who has gone into security. The Police know absolutely jack all about security they aren't trained.

Sponsored Links
As for the Police recommendations..

The Police will recommend someone they know usually an ex copper who has gone into security. The Police know absolutely jack all about security they aren't trained.

:rolleyes: I've agreed with most of the things you've said in the past but that is just nonsense.

I have my reasons for saying the above. Unfortunately ( and I wish I could say different ) true.

My altruistic bubble of naivety was burst in a very clear demonstration of the above.

Not unlike your self then :LOL:

If you say so... I won't take offence. Getting back on topic though in this case the OP decided against wireless in the end but why? Did the police inform him that wireless systems could be grade 2 approved when he asked or did they suggest some installers who only fitted wired. Or are we getting into the area here where I said the Police weren't trained?

now i am really confused. i see the fors are in algeria. do they have different systems. i have heard that a car remote can activate a wireless alarm. i have heard that a person with the right equip can de activate the alarm. i have heard that batteries can run out frequently. i come back to the original question are they safe? what are the pros and cons. i would be grateful for all informed comments.

now i am really confused. i see the fors are in algeria.
Not unless they've moved Yorkshire he's not.

'Algeria' installs DiY equipment at a cost that any one can buy at all/most large DiY shops & DiThemselves.

now i am really confused. i see the fors are in algeria. do they have different systems. i have heard that a car remote can activate a wireless alarm. i have heard that a person with the right equip can de activate the alarm. i have heard that batteries can run out frequently. i come back to the original question are they safe? what are the pros and cons. i would be grateful for all informed comments.

First of all I am not refering to DIY equipment when I mention wireless systems in this post. I am refering to the latest wireless systems like the ion-16 or ion-40 by scantronic. I am talking generally in the wireless vs wired debate.
You have heard a car wireless can activate an alarm. This is not the case.
A person with the right equipment cannot deactivate the alarm. What happens if anyone tries to intercept the alarms frequency is that the alarm will activate and sound. So if you were a burglar and you wanted to enter a home would you
A.- Find a wireless alarmed home and set off the alarm bringing everyones attention to you and making it impossible to sneak in.. or
would you
B.- pick another home to rob?

Battery life is in the systems I am familiar with around 18months to two years and a typical system has £10-£12's worth of batteries if you go to Maplins.

This week I installed an alarm for a gentleman who lived in a park home.
He had been given all sorts of rubbish about the systems I install , one installer telling him that they are stuck on the walls (nonsense). Various other scare stories until one company who turned up to quote actually admitted they were ok. He came to me because his insurance wouldn't give any benefits or discounts even to an NSI company as they were Park Homes.

The pros and cons for wireless and wired are.
Wireless make less mess to install
Wired are more secure
A stable wireless system will not give any trouble
A poorly installed wired system will give trouble
Wired systems still need batteries replaced but less often

I think considering we have had wireless around ever since radios were invented its quite funny that people are questioning wether invisible signalling using radio waves will work.
Its so odd that people are still technophobic about something that has been with us for nearly a hundred years.

Does your car remote work? do you expect it to work?
If we hadn't had central locking and blippers invented and we were still using keys in doors I bet there would be more problems with faults.
When was the last time your car remote didn't work/

i am now seeing the complexity of choosing a system and the importance of understanding the strengths and weaknesses inherent in each of them. i really appreciate the thought and effort of the above responses but could i ask a further favour. this is to rank the safety features you would look for in a wireless system.

Things to think about??
1. Do you want a simple to use system?
2. Have you got out buildings?
3. Might you want to add to a system later?
4. Are you put off by decorating?

If these answers are yes then a wirefree system would be ideal, its just a case of picking the right one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back