Wireless alarms what causes false alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I just wondered if it was distance,interference, poor install or why doesn’t the experts like them
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Define the nature of the false alarm. Is it really a false alarm. Or an indication that the system is being tampered with ?

If a burglar cuts the wires of a wired alarm then the siren will sound using power from the battery inside the siren. To reach those wires the burglar needs to get acces to the wires, maybe using a ladder.

If a burglar uses a wireless jammer to "cut the wires" of a wireless alarm the siren will sound. With only wireless "wires" to cut the burglar can be some distance away from the house if the jammer is powerful enough and most are. The wires can also be "cut" by other equipment that uses the same radio frequency.

At least one manufacturer of low cost DIY install wireless alarms has recognised that these accidental cutting of the wires and the "false" alarms they create can be annoying. They provide the option to prevent the siren sounding if the "wires are cut" ( the radio channel beng blocked or jammed ).

If the owner of the alarm uses this option to reduce the annoying "false" alarms then a burglar can "cut the wires" with a jammer without any indication and thus render the alarm out of action.

There are professional wireless alarms which deal with jamming or blocking properly.

Thanks the reason for asking is I am thinking about getting a basic alarm for my mothers(3 pir, 2 door contacts all within 6m of control panel) and wireless would be easier, and the only thing putting me off is false alarms (she had a response wireless many years ago and it used to go off randomly)
Thanks

A Two way wireless system would be ideal and shouldn’t cause false alarms as long as you follow the installation guidelines for the detector siteings. A Pyronix Enforcer would do the job and has a relatively simple setup.

Fit a door contact on the final exit (front door) and program the exit mode as “Final Door”.

Fit Dual-Tec sensors in hot or drafts rooms like kitchen, conservatory’s & garages.

Power via a spur not a plug.

Replace batteries every 2 years.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ok talked it over with her and she’s happy with a wireless system, so where’s a good place to buy one?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back