wireless door lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok maybe a topic for windows and doors... but in the day of automated homes.. why can you not get a radio controlled door lock for the house...
exactly the same as you have for your car, but can lock/unlock the front door of the house without using the key...
what are the pitfalls? simple idea... maybe i'm a fool for announcing this genius idea... or maybe i'm just a fool... (cue flames)

Sponsored Links
Because everytime it is a bit windy here, the electricity supplies are so 'delicate' you end up locked in or out your house!

but surely there could be a back up. like your car.. its called a key!

Sponsored Links
i'm lazy.. :LOL:
just a thought though... surely it has been done...

Yep, it's called a door buzzer and you can frequently find them in big expensive flats with penthouses.
Even includes a congierge for real lazy people, they even carry your groceries :D :D :D
(Dull morning)

i saw a system on a diy show that had solenoids in the handles,they were no bigger than a normal locking mechanism and could be locked opened remotely with a fob.good if you've got your hands full of shopping +kids.
i would still want to double check the windows and doors myself though.depends whever it was infared or ultrasonic,be no good if someone could grab the signal with a scanner or what ever but if it had a rolling code(one that changes everytime you use it,a bit like a bmw immobiliser)it worked out about £80 a lock though.

I suppose you mean a ready made off the shelf lock?
if you don't mind a bit of self build there are loads of remote kits available, try stockists like maplins for kits, you should make sure your system is battery backed up just in case of power cuts, A mate of mine years ago made a very ingenious keypad arrangement, basically he carefully removed a brick near his front door and inserted a back box to this was attached a hinge mechanism, one of the press to release sprung click types to this he attached a length of ply and to this ply he glued a tile of the facing brick he'd removed (cut carefully with a cutting wheel)so this acted as a flap and in the back box was installed the keypad, the pointing was redone around the flap so that it butted up to the face brick but allowed it to open, to look at it when closed you could never tell the false brick(and i knew which one it was!).

there was a prog on tv, following 2 designers, they showwed different thing each week, (took longer to actualy do you understand) they did various things, one was indeed a remote control locking system for a house, they gave up in the end on this one, but i forgot why.

so yes it has been tried

yes, those 2 inventors (one of em's called dick, think the other's richard) who invented the vibrating razor and an ingenious bra design IIRC on Channel 4, had a bash at this one. They discovered only something like 20% of people who have burglar alarms use them, so decided to find a solution. They found a solution would be to set the alarm using a key fob, and also have the same fob operate automatic door locks, just like a car. They fitted it to a house IIRC, and it worked. They said at the end "a big alarm company has shown intered in dick and whoever else's idea and is researching it etc"

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
go on then tell us,which brick was it.
that would be telling :) but you would never tell that there was a false brick there.

I'll stick with the key, 99.9% sure that door is locked when used.
Not likely to insert itself and turn when no-one is looking..... ;) :D

What a good idea, remote central locking, great for when its raining & dark.

Another saving of 5 secs .. for what? For the fun of 'messing' with a recalcitrant leccy lock when it inevitably goes 'wonky'? :D :D

Sponsored Links
Back