Wireless link for water heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have no tank thermostat, and the boiler is two floors below the airing cupboard so not easy to run cables, typical tank thermostat is £15 and easy to find, but wireless tank thermostat jumps to around £76 and only found internet sellers.

So how about a unit which relays the info, it seems receivers easy to find, simple sonoff can be controlled by your phone, but I don't want to control with a phone I want to control with a tank thermostat as cheap as I can.

Until the summer it does not matter, DHW is heated every time the heating goes on, but in the summer as it stands controlled by time only, so is there a cheap wireless relay?

Sponsored Links
No wiring centre in the cylinder cupboard then?

No wiring centre in the cylinder cupboard then?
Not a thing, immersion heater that's all, and no timer for immersion heater. I have considered fitting an immersion heater timer, so it switches on after the central heating has switched off, to ensure hot enough to stop legionnaires, the cylinder is top floor and not against the outside wall, if it was then easy two holes and SWA outside of house. But bedroom between cylinder and outside wall.

Haven’t used them, but seems like a relay of sorts maybe your best option.

Sponsored Links
I am sure one can get wireless relays, getting a wifi or wireless relay that works with phone all around the world is easy, finding one which will take a signal from a simple switch or tank thermostat seems more of a problem.

I can buy a wireless room thermostat easy, but finding a wireless tank thermostat seems a problem.

It is half of what I need, the problem is the other half. Loads of units that will switch when signal received, but units to send the signal seem to be a problem.

Closest to date is easy switch receiver but £42 plus £71.08 also rather expensive when a wireless room thermostat good quality is only £60.

This looks promising but unsure if it will send to other device or not.

Last edited:
Found this
file.php
it is a door contact the magnet will switch the reed switch which can be seen, so remove the reed switch and fit a tank thermostat that means I am sending a wireless signal, however what will receive the signal? Will the unit @The Novice linked to receive the signal from this SONOFF DW1?

Could you use a regular wireless central heating room stat, open up the room stat, de-solder the sensor from the board and connect and external one on a wire that you could strap against the tank, set your desired temp and then it will call the boiler when required? I’m no electronics expert but surely there would be off the shelf sensors with a wire attached that you could use?

The problem with room thermostat is designed for up to around 30°C and normally with a slewing range of temperature around 0.5°C where I want 60°C to 70°C and a slewing range of temperature around 5°C.

Like most things, there are two options here.

1 - Buy the proper wireless cylinder thermostat.
2 - Buy a selection of other unsuitable devices and spend days/weeks attempting to get them to work properly.

1 will cost more but will be quick and easy to install and will work properly.
2 might cost less but will involve vast amounts of wasted time and isn't likely to work properly or at all.

Cheap is only cheap if you consider that your time is entirely worthless.

Hmm hadn't even crossed my mind about the max temp setting on a heating stat, pretty obvious when you think about it!

I have to agree with flameport and indeed have chosen option 1 myself numerous times, the extra cost is quickly forgotten when you have a working and reliable solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back