Wireless network and remote access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy's

Looking at having a wireless at my office and accessing from home. However I wonder how secure these are if I just used Microsoft XP remote access?

Any thoughts on how I can make this as safe as can be without costing the earth?

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
Ah I see what you mean...

No in fact I live 64 miles away and I doubt it would stretch that far.

No, rather, how can I have a wireless network at the office with remote access via the web whilst remaining secure ?

Thanks BTW

Cheers

Richard

no idea but have you tried "go to my pc"

you have to pay for it, but type in promo code LBC you get a 30 day trial

Sponsored Links
You don't say what you need to access from your? office but if it's just your PC then why not get a laptop.

If you need access to the entire network then a VPN (Virtual Private Network) solution is what you need...doesn't matter whether the stuff you need to access at work (file servers, e-mail server etc...) is wired or wireless. A VPN setup sounds a little too advanced for you so maybe the gotomypc is a simple alternative or find a local IT company/contractor to help.

I take it this is your office / business and you are not just an employee who could potentially end up in hot water for installing a rogue (possible unsecure) wireless network ? Sorry to ask but you don't give many details as to what you are trying to achieve / access.

You don't say what you need to access from your? office but if it's just your PC then why not get a laptop.

If you need access to the entire network then a VPN (Virtual Private Network) solution is what you need...doesn't matter whether the stuff you need to access at work (file servers, e-mail server etc...) is wired or wireless. A VPN setup sounds a little too advanced for you so maybe the gotomypc is a simple alternative or find a local IT company/contractor to help.

I take it this is your office / business and you are not just an employee who could potentially end up in hot water for installing a rogue (possible unsecure) wireless network ? Sorry to ask but you don't give many details as to what you are trying to achieve / access.

Indeed it is my office and my business....

I have returned after a period of 7 years and find our technology hardly moved on since. Every man jack had had a go at 'adjusting' the system to the point where one PC couldn't be accessed at administrator level as everyone had forgot the password (for at least 4 years)

I have 3 p'c's currently connected to each other via a router. I want to upgrade to a wireless network so I can connect a few laptops (with levels as necessary)
However as I live some distance I would also like to have total network access at home as would our accountant who often seeks info from the Sage accounts but has to keep phoning and asking.

So we shall have 2 new p.c's + one which is set as an 'always on' back up p.c (which was off when I first looked at it :rolleyes: ....) and a few laptops -inc mine- on a wireless network.
Then remote access for me, my partner and our accountant. I know Microsoft has remote via XP but not too sure of the safety. I would also like to set my home PC as a remote back up 'server' too

In my last company we had an in-house guy forever writing scripts at stuff but it was always crashing and having difficulites so I would wish it to be on the KISS principle without the risk of attack.

I must admit whilst I would love the idea of getting someone in I fear we would be captive and in danger of getting trapped back in the "err don't know what the last guy did....." syndrome

Cheers

Richard

sounds like you do need "go to my pc" they advertise it it on LBC, i have no idea how much i have only heard it advertised, but they say you just log on and your work desktop appears in front of you.

as i also said you can try it free if you enter the promo code LBC

(LBC is a London radio station)

it may be for you, it may not, i have no idea as i dont want / use it but the trial is free

There are many ways to do this. Here is what I would do.
You have 2 different issues here. Remote access and Wireless Access. Let's deal with them individually.

Remote Access.
Have a look at http://www.m0n0.ch/wall This is an open source router that can run on an old PC. Put 3 network cards in it, one for WAN, one for LAN and one to connect to a wireless access point. The software includes a VPN server to enable you to create a secure VPN tunnel through the internet to your work network. The separate network for the wireless AP is to segregate the wireless clients and give additional control to secure the wireless network. There is a really good forum for monowall at http://forum.m0n0.ch

Wireless Access
As previously mentioned you need a wireless access point. Once you configure the security on the access point and connect the laptops, I would give no default access from that network segment, but have them use a VPN connection to the router thus giving maximum security. This way, even if someone does manage to hack your wireless network, they cannot go anywhere.

Just thought I'd throw a spanner in....

While monowall works very well, I think setting up a Linux based firewall might be a bit advanced for Richard. :eek:
You can buy a box off the shelf that will do pretty much what you want, firewall with VPN termination. It's not as powerful as monowall, and you have to pay for it, but it's a lot easier to set up. This would replace your current internet router and provide the usual routing and firewall but also VPN termination. If you get a matching router at your home, the devices can be set up to take care of the VPN between them. Your network at home will appear to be on the same network as your office. Draytek do some ADSL and DSL routers like this.

Something that hasn't been raised is the subject of a static IP address. Do you have one? If not, there are ways round it but it's a bit fiddly.

As far as remote control of office PCs is concerned, you might as well stick with Microsoft Remote Desktop if you're connecting over the VPN, or you can get VNC for free - Google VNC.

Hoo is correct that it is a little bit advanced. However an all in one device that also has wireless, puts the wireless on the same network as the LAN and would potentially introduce risk to the corporate network. Segmenting the wireless as I mentioned would provide a cost effective secure wireless solution. If you are worried about installing Monowall, you can but it pre-installed at http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10654 Far cheaper if you can build your own or get a friend to do it on an old PC.

Good point...
You really want the wireless on a separate firewall, which means two units if you do it my way, but only one if you use the monowall.
On the other hand, how secure do you really need it?
I think the higher end units like Draytek are better at separating the wireless from your LAN, and as long as you use WPA the end result should be secure enough.

r.bartlett, I'll bet you wish you never asked. :)

No, actually reading all this I'm glad I did.

However the boffins here have made it all the more difficult working out the best way forward..

However I would like to thanks those who did reply as it's given me plenty to mull over

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
Back