Wireless Opentherm Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does such a thing exist?

Can anyone recommend one?

I've been searching high or low on Google, and have seen mentions (including on this website) of Honeywell Chronotherm ones, but can find nothing in Honeywell literature that mentions these are OpenTherm compatible. On the Dutch Honeywell site there is mention of some OpenTherm thermostats, but (as it's all in Dutch) I can't tell if any of these are wireless.

Vokera also seem to make a wireless OpenTherm thermostat, but their literature says that it is only compatible with their boilers, and not ones from other manufacturers (which surely completely negates the purpose of OpenTherm).

Sponsored Links
what is an "open therm" thermostat? it probably is just a model name in which case you will not find a lot of info

what is an "open therm" thermostat?

You beat me to it! Yeh enlighten us to what this actually is!
What are you trying to do with it? Is this some kind of room stat? Tank stat?

"OpenTherm is the name of a non-manufacturer-dependent system of communication between modulating heating appliances (central heating appliances and air heaters) and room thermostats. The system consists of a communication protocol and an interface specification. OpenTherm is futuristic system, which combines simple installation techniques with high functionality and future expansion possibilities."

So, not a model name, but an open standard for room thermostats to communicate with boilers.

It allows more than the standard on/off of usual controllers, using a standard protocol so that you aren't tied to a specific manufacturer's products.

The only thing is, these don't yet seem to be very popular in the UK, and I can find few wired ones, let alone wireless ones available.

Sponsored Links
A look at the website reveals a lot of sales talk, but no concrete specifics.
It is hinted that it can use an outside thermostat, but as it is connected with a 2-wire connection, that could only influence the starting time with a delay/advance.
I would say that it is extremely unlikely you will ever recover the cost of this setup, not to mention the fact that with a complete lack of UK support, any problems will result in the need for replacement.
A high end programmable roomstat like the siemens rev 24 would offer a similar if not better saving, and excellent quality/support.

Most manufacturers are bringing out wireless RF units that "Modulate," the boiler as oppose to a simple on off setup. Financially and technically it isn't in their interest to make a generic version that fits all :rolleyes: Like your car, some tech and gadgets are specific to the individual car maker. Saying that, some german and scandanavian boiler manufacturers have been making modulating setups and outside weather compensating units for a long time. Remaha and Veissman I think make such a setup. Talk to a good RGI in your area fella ;)

Nest - https://nest.com/uk/support/article...eneration-Nest-Learning-Thermostat-do-with-it

"OpenTherm is the name of a non-manufacturer-dependent system of communication between modulating heating appliances (central heating appliances and air heaters) and room thermostats. The system consists of a communication protocol and an interface specification. OpenTherm is futuristic system, which combines simple installation techniques with high functionality and future expansion possibilities."

So, not a model name, but an open standard for room thermostats to communicate with boilers.

It allows more than the standard on/off of usual controllers, using a standard protocol so that you aren't tied to a specific manufacturer's products.

The only thing is, these don't yet seem to be very popular in the UK, and I can find few wired ones, let alone wireless ones available.

The basic commands are set, modulation of the boiler in the protocol, there are many other features that can be available between the control and the boiler. The control may offer something a boiler will not be able to fulfil so it can be a dissapoinntment. Eg our Vokera BeSMART (I work for them) can display system pressure on app or room unit but if the boiler cannot supply a readinfg the facility is lost. There are dozens more.
We just wouldn't support the product officially though it will certainly control the boiler flow temp.
What boiler do you have?

I have brought an ideal vouge c32 (flagship) which is opentherm ready no bridge required. In addition I will be using the nest 3rd gen which is opentherm compatible . Good thing with nest is it will get software and firmware updates for years to come. More opentherm. Stats hopefully.

Note the heatlink module has enough extenbility for now 2 wires to opentherm terminals on the boiler terminals will ensure the boiler is modulating and working alongside true radiant. A nest technology.

Why have you replied to a post from 2009 @monsterlink?

Because nest now supports opentherm protocol and I've just bought an ideal vogue which supports opentherm to replace my alpha cb24.

Win win...... help share communicate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back