Wireless router use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a spare wireless router. I wonder if I can use this to wireless connect to the router connected to internet and then in turn to my Blu-ray player to save running in a cable.

If possible then worth my trying to configure it. But not sure if there is a way it can be done.

Both are set at moment to 192.168.1.1

Sponsored Links
Well good bit is my HUAWEI EchoLife HG520s does have a bridge function. Bad bit I can't get it to work.
I note the default gateway on wireless LAN is not set to 192.168.1.1 but darned if I can find where to set it.

Sponsored Links
Thank you again. Could not find it but they wanted me to use some special program to read docs then said I did not have permission to down load it.

I am starting to think it can be used to extend wireless from a wired connection but not a wired connection from a wireless connection?

Real pain as laptop keeps connecting to wireless instead of wired and keep having to set all to manual to gain access to router.

Think it may be easier to run a cable.

Thank you again. Could not find it but they wanted me to use some special program to read docs then said I did not have permission to down load it.

I am starting to think it can be used to extend wireless from a wired connection but not a wired connection from a wireless connection?

Real pain as laptop keeps connecting to wireless instead of wired and keep having to set all to manual to gain access to router.

Think it may be easier to run a cable.

You can choose your order of preferred devices, like if LAN is available plus WIFI it will always go with your number 1 choice

What is your OS

Mainly use XP but once router is set up then the problem would no longer exist. I have a blu-ray player which can be used on the internet and at the moment a long lead from it to switch.

My original idea was to run a long cable outside the house. But when a spare router became available it seemed an easy way out.

There is a special adaptor for the blu-ray to make it wireless but the cost is nearly as much as the whole player cost.

From what I have now read I think it will only extend the wireless and can't work other way around and extend the wired network.

It will work.

The wireless bridge connects the two routers. You will then be able to use the wired LAN ports on both. See the diagram in the original link I posted. Depending on the router, you might have to give your player a static IP on the same subnet. (ie, 192.168.1.?)

Edit

Here's some UK contact numbers for your Modem Vendor. You might get a manual there

United Kingdom . Ipswich
Unit 52 Barrack Square, Martlesham Heath Business Park, Ipswich, Suffolk IP5 3RF, UK
Tel:0044-1473-733200
Fax:0044-1473-333496
United Kingdom . Basingstoke
Viables 3, Jays Close, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG22 4BS, UK
Tel:0044-1256-865300
Fax:0044-1256-841428
United Kingdom . Basingstoke
Units 3 & 4 Faraday Office Park, Rankine Road, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG24 8QB, UK
Tel:0044-1256-710399
Fax:0044-1256-819109

I never did pass my Cisco Systems I should have paid more attention in class! But after what you have said I will have another go. Since at the moment is shows the wireless part with 0.0.0.0 I know it will not work and I need to find how to change that.

I will let you know how I get on.

Sponsored Links
Back