Wireless security camera

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Ive been looking at a reasonably priced CCTV cam, wireless which sends me emails to my phone, but worried about being able to set up with my router as although I'm reasonable with a computer, what ive seen on the connecting up seems a bit to complex to me, ( been looking at the loftek nexus 543 )

Sponsored Links
Hi Securit,

So the problem is not with the setting up or siting of the camera then ? it's down to getting the unit to text or message you. It would be a happier world if all instruction manuals were clear and concise, unfortunately a lot of them aren't. Anyway, I'll see if I can get hold of the manual for this unit and maybe we can put our heads together on the issue. It's probably asking for the info usually on a label at the back of the router, but that said, I've had problems getting harware to accept on some occasions. It could also be down to whether the unit will recognise your server. In a recent problem, no matter what was tried, the unit refused to recognise. Anyway, I'll look for the specs and see if I can be of any help.

Best Wishes

Just been looking on you tube, and it looks damn tricky, changing protocols n dd sess, so looking at one on Maplins which is recordable via sd card and you can monitor via a screen, AND it's plug n play, you just connect up via an Ethernet cable punch in your code, and thats it, simples !!!! ( yer and the popes Jewish ) well I've ordered it lets wait n see, oh it's digital to,

Sponsored Links
That sounds like the better option, Securit. We shouldn't have to go about changing everything we've set up for the sake of one unit. I'm having the same problem myself on a device and I think it's destined for the bin because I am not prepared to mess up my own settings. There may be someone on the forum who works on this model every day of the week and tell us 'it's simple' but we could say the same about things we also work on daily. It's no big deal to 'drop the dead donkey' when our time could be better used. Let me know how you get on though.

Take Care

Yer I know, messed about with my router for adding something, tottally lost broadband for over a week, have you ever been without BB for even a day, I went mental, lost all my hair, couldn't even go in the same room as the router, had to go to my network supplier to talk me through it, camera should be here in a day or so, didn't want cables as to many holes to be drilled, and analogue wireless you get interference, so trying this digital type, it records onto sd card, you've also got a wireless monitor you can carry about say to the garden etc and keep an eye on up to 4 cameras, its also smartphone compatible so will email you if a camera picks up movement, let you know what it's like.

With all due respect, the setup of the Loftek device is very similar to most IP devices. All straight forward. No wholesale changing of systems/networks required.

Oh, and their manual walks you through it.

Hi Securit,

As regards broadband I can only say 'snap', it's happened to me on a few occasions, and you're dead right on missing it for even one day, drove me round the bend. I was doing a bit on e.bay at the time and missed quite a lot of bids.. ah well ! maybe they weren't for me anyway. Keep in touch, I might learn something from your project. No, I'll change that to 'I will learn something from your project'. Hope you had a nice christmas, chat to you soon.

Take Care

Arrr, your right, I like a bit of shopping on eBay, in fact the week it went down I nearly lost an item, luckily I had my iPhone to bid on,

Incidentally if you like eBay, have you heard of bumblebee !!!!!!

Hi Securit,

I bought a load of stuff sometime earlier in the year, decided I didn't want it after all and had to sell the lot at about a fifty quid loss. I'm a bit more cagey these days though, I force myself to ask ' do I really need it or do I just want it ? Haven't heard of bumblebee, willing to give it a try, or anything else for that matter. Must say though, I've had a few good bargains on ebay as far as security gear is concerned, but I haven't seen much in the way of good deals on cctv, since we are on the subject, unless I am missing them.

Take Care.

Oh you gotta give bumblebee a go, it's the police auction site for stolen items, you can buy virtually anything that's been pinched and recovered, from a cycle to a chainsaw,
You know if a jewellers has been turned over as there will be a load of rings, watches n stuff, I bought a brand new seiko watch for under a tenner, I've also had a halfords brand, heavy duty battery charger, seen it in store for £65, I had it for £8.00, and if your looking for a cycle, there's usually loads on there, brand new and used, I had a giant 21 gears for £23 all it needed was a new tyre, my local pick up is Newport police headquarters, most forces have an auction site, but Newport is mine, sometimes there's nothing for a week or so, then they start putting on the items, you never know what's next, lawn mowers, jewellery n bikes seem popular, basically it's like eBay except there are no fees, you just pay for what you win, and you don't have to wait to place your bid in the last 20 seconds, as when the item is about to finish, if you placed a bid near the end, it carries on in 10 minute increments.

Hi Securit,

That's a piece of new year good news. So do I ask at my local police station when the next auction for my area is, and where, or is it posted on the internet. I want some.

Thanks Securit,

I'll give it a try in the new year and let you know how I get on. They haven't got any bellboxes with chaindaisy on the front by any chance ?
Let me know when you set up the cctv.

Take Care.

Hi, got my camera kit, could not belive how easy it was to set up, I have 2 cameras, you just press a button on each cam and they pair up with your 7" monitor, as I have one of my cameras trained on my drive with my caravan on it, any movement and the portable monitor alarm goes off by your bedside, the quality of both night n day is better than expected, it's all wireless except the power cord for each camera, the thing I was dreading was linking it up with my router as you can view your home via your phone, iv read about systems where you have to go into your computer to adjust gateways n dds and what not, but this does it all for you via an Ethernet cable, you just copy your int address n a password and that's it, simples,

Ps chaindaisy, check out bumblebee Newport, a load of bikes n stuff, sorry no bellboxes though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back