Wireless thermostat and controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Logic 30 combi with a mechanical 24hr timer but want to install a smart wireless thermostat like Hive, Nest, etc. However I've come across the term OpenTherm and wondered whether there was any benefit to installing a product compatible with this and if so any recommendations?
Specifically I'm wanting an app and ideally Alexa integration.

I've not looked yet, but how do you access the wiring terminals for the controller?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
your boiler supports open therm, but hive does not, nest does, there are many other options that support open therm , all depends what you want to achieve

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
However I've come across the term OpenTherm and wondered whether there was any benefit to installing a product compatible with this and if so any recommendations?

OpenTherm is a protocol that allows the boiler to use load compensation. With load compensation, instead of the thermostat turning the boiler on and off in order to maintain the desired room temperature, it continuously adjusts the temperature of the water flowing around the heating system. It gives smoother and more precise control of temperature, and less cycling of the boiler.

Ideal Logic 30 combi
I've not looked yet, but how do you access the wiring terminals for the controller?
I believe the Logic 30 is a room sealed boiler - accessing the OT terminals within the boiler would require a safety check afterwards.
If you want an OT 'stat, it may be simpler to let an RGI do the install?
If you are happy with an on/off 'stat, then just replace your existing mechanical timer yourself.

Sponsored Links
I believe the Logic 30 is a room sealed boiler - accessing the OT terminals within the boiler would require a safety check afterwards.
If you want an OT 'stat, it may be simpler to let an RGI do the install?
If you are happy with an on/off 'stat, then just replace your existing mechanical timer yourself.
Thanks RandomGrinch, would it be the same terminals if I were to use non OT such as Hive?

The boiler is due a service soon, so I may as well buy the stat and get the engineer to fit it at the same time?

would it be the same terminals if I were to use non OT such as Hive?
You would use the wiring of the existing mechanical timer - no access would be needed to the boiler.
Depending on that wiring, you may need an extra cable to provide power for the Hive coming from the boilers fused connection unit, or a battery powered receiver such as the Nest thermostat E - all very DIYable!
The boiler is due a service soon, so I may as well buy the stat and get the engineer to fit it at the same time?
For the benefits of OpenTherm, that may be a good idea :)

Edit: sorry, I was making assumptions - this would be relevant for an external mechanical timer.

Last edited:
You would use the wiring of the existing mechanical timer - no access would be needed to the boiler.
Depending on that wiring, you may need an extra cable to provide power for the Hive coming from the boilers fused connection unit, or a battery powered receiver such as the Nest thermostat E - all very DIYable!

For the benefits of OpenTherm, that may be a good idea :)

Edit: sorry, I was making assumptions - this would be relevant for an external mechanical timer.
Photo of current install for clarity.

I've just been reading up on the Halo stat and it seems like a good possibility. However would it be able to adjust the actual heating temperature at the boiler, given I have physical dials on the boiler?

Attachments

• 20221211_161127.jpg
    20221211_161127.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 35
I've just been reading up on the Halo stat and it seems like a good possibility. However would it be able to adjust the actual heating temperature at the boiler, given I have physical dials on the boiler?

OpenTherm will work very differently to what you are used to. If a boiler works with OpenTherm, it takes over control of the heating temperature, and the controls on the boiler would have no effect.

Do you know how old the boiler is?

OpenTherm will work very differently to what you are used to. If a boiler works with OpenTherm, it takes over control of the heating temperature, and the controls on the boiler would have no effect.

Do you know how old the boiler is?
It was installed when the house was built in 2014.

I've been warned on here before to be careful with Ideal Logics, because there have been several different versions. So, with this mind, I thought I should just check, will a Logic of this age definitely support OpenTherm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back