Wireless thermostats - a useful extra?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there tangible benefits in getting a wirless thermostat? Every quote i've had has included one! What are the pros and cons?

Sponsored Links
Pros... Your boiler isn't running/ consuming gas when your home is up to temperature so you'll save a few bob.

Cons... You'll have to change the batteries now and then..

Fitting a room themostat, wireless or otherwise for me is a bit of a no brainer... Why would you want a new boiler fitted without one?

Are you talking about a wireless room stat or a wireless programable room stat. Fixed wiring or wireless the stat will do the same. The only difference being you either have to run wiring or save fitting time with wireless.

At the end of the day it comes down to cost implications, and whether there are any restrictions in fitting wireless.

Are you talking about a wireless room stat or a wireless programable room stat. Fixed wiring or wireless the stat will do the same. The only difference being you either have to run wiring or save fitting time with wireless.

At the end of the day it comes down to cost implications, and whether there are any restrictions in fitting wireless.

The quote just specifies a "Honeywell wireless stat". Should I check that it is a programmable room stat?

Sponsored Links
Assuming you are questioning the "wireless" bit (it would be stupid not to have a room stat at all)

pro: for the installer - he can charge you for it, and there is no effort for him to run new cables and connections. So more money and less work

pro: for you - if you feel like it, you can cart the thing around the house

cons: for you - one more thing to go wrong, more difficult to trace faults and fix; more expensive to buy

I am a householder not a pro

I have recently changed to a programmable room stat, and recommend one for improved comfort and economy

Appologies for the 'mini-hijack' but the site won't let me PM you John. Out of interest what programmable stat did you get?

mine is a Danfoss TP75M, now obsolete, I got it cheap on fleabay as NOS.

I usually prefer ACL Drayton controls.

I didn't want a wireless one.

The quote just specifies a "Honeywell wireless stat". Should I check that it is a programmable room stat?

Depends on your system set up Combi/conventional and the most convenient way to control your heating/hot water for you. Honeywell are trusted for quality and reliability.

You are showing a common fault that you have forgotten that YOU are the customer and the installer will often make suggestions but can and should fit exactly what YOU want.

Always ask what model he has quoted for and then you can look up its specs and price and compare it with other market models to see what specs suit your needs best.

Tony

Apparently it's a Honeywell Chronotherm. Not sure of the exact model number though.

I have one of those and im a heating engineer, so that proves ther good! never had a faulty one come back, saves chasing wires around your house, and there no more harder to find faults with than with wired ones. May cost £50 more for the unit but £50+ less work.

Thanks for the reply, rgas. I guess I should be okay with the kit they're supplying then!

Can anyone comment on the Honeywell Y6630D wireless stat, please?
Its to fit a Worcester 12/14 Heatslave oil combi - I just need a simple on / off temperature stat, not a programmable one.
John :)

Are there tangible benefits in getting a wirless thermostat? Every quote i've had has included one!

Quote for what? Car repairs? Underpinning your house?

If its for a new boiler, and you aren't having the built in programmer (usually an optional extra with most boilers), get the 7 day programmable stat. If you are having the built in programmer, you will just need a stat.

I would always prefer a wired stat/programmer, if it is reasonably easy to run a wire from the boiler to the stat location (hall/lounge). If running a wire will look unsightly and necessitate redecoration, then go for wireless.

Honeywell are about the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back