Wiring a Ceiling Rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate some help in wiring a new ceiling rose. The old bakelite fitting more or less disintegrated leaving me with two leads each with a red and black wire. The old fitting had a three way arrangement with the two reds going to one point and the blacks going to the other two.

My new ceiling rose has 8 connections grouped as follows

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

With 1 being neutral 8 live and 456 labelled loop in. Pointers as to where the wires should go would be gratefully received. I have seached and checked the reference section but it's still not too clear to me.

Sponsored Links
The two reds will go into the middle section marked loop in.

You are left with two blacks.
One will be the neutral and that goes on terminal 2
One will be the switched live and that goes on terminal 7. This one should have a red sleeve marker on it. If it doesnt then you will need a test meter to ident which is which.

I am assuming that your ceiling rose terminals are grouped like this:

123 456 78 ?

The lamp connects to 1 and 8

Many thanks for your reply. There wasn't a red sleeve which was confusing me, and yes the terminals are grouped as you suggest.

Thanks again.

Stupid question but you test for the switch wire with the power on i presume? not keen on that.

Sponsored Links
If you don't want the power on, connect up the lamp to the black and red from one cable only. Make sure the other cable is out of the way and the wires cannot short or come into contact with anything and turn on the power at the fuse box.

If the light turns on with the power, that's the feed, if nothing happens that cable connects to the switch and the black wire should have a red sleeve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back