wiring a dual channel hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a system boiler with a lp522 hw and ch controller and a drayton wired thermostat .
I have purchased a dual channel hive and from what i can see by looking on the back of the old controller it looks like the new hive receiver will just slot straight on .
Please correct me if im wrong .
My concern is the wired thermostat ....
I have attached pics .
I have had the meter on the stat wires and when the ch on button is selected on the lp522 then the yellow live wire gets 240v . I thought this wire would be live all the time ?
Is it just a case of joining this live to the red swith wire to complete the circuit ?
I know it is bad practice to link the wires at the wall and bury them so i have taken a pic of the control center .
Could somebody please point me in the right direction as to which wires i need to link in the control box so that i can make the old wall stat redundant and complete the circuit ?
I was thinking link 9 to 10 as these were showing 240v when ch was on and next to nothing when turned off .
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Sponsored Links
The room thermostat should only be made live when the programmer switches the heating on, so that is as I would expect. If it were permanently live the heating would come on when the programmer was set to off.

1. You should trace the thermostat cable back to its origin, and note where the red and yellow wires from thermostat terminals 1 and 3 are connected.
2. Now disconnect the all of the wires going to the original room thermostat and remove the cable
3. Finally insert a link between the two terminals that you have just removed the yellow and red wires from so that they are electrically connected.

Clue: One of the thermostat wires should be connected to the white wire of the motorised valve, so that might be the red wire along with the white wire in terminal 10. if it is, that will allow you to identify the cable going out to the thermostat. In which case the yellow wire from the same cable is in 9, so your assumption is correct.

Last edited:
6-jpg.212565
is the same as duel channel Hive so yes straight swap, however the old thermostat would still be active, the regulations detail safe routes for cables, so if cables are live, then there needs to be some thing to show cables go to the point where thermostat is, I used a simple blanking plate. Since I was using Nest I reassigned old cables to power wall thermostat and carry data, there is no reason why the Hive wall thermostat should not be screwed to blanking plate, I know with Nest a plate is provided to mask the hole from old thermostat if larger.

Thank you for the reply .
Im going to try fitting it all on Thursday when not working nights .
I'll get back to you
Thanks again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back