Wiring a fluroescent light and switch in my loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , I am trying to wire a fluroescent light( I have done plenty with a standard ceiling rose ) into my loft , I have took the power from my landing light , problem being the fluroescent as a push fit type terminal block which as 1,2,3 E, N and I am lost as to which wires go where for the power in and the switch out ?? , thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Do you have a product model/number Thorn produce many different fittings or even a photo of the terminal points could help with any covers/terminal enclosures removed, so can see the load side cables.

I can get a pic in the morning I have had to give up as it's pitch black lol , thorn diffundi 2x 36w is make and model , I have identified 1 as live as I tested it, then obvious Marked N for neutral E for earth etc just confused me as to where my power in live and neutral go and live and neutral for the switch ?!

Each port on the terminal as 2 points where can insert a cable ie port 1 as 2 points 2 as 2 and so on .....

That would depend on the arrangement of the switch wires.
If you are looping in at the fitting or at the switch.
At the fitting the perm live would need looping back to the switch, if unsure that any of the terminals act as a loop-in, you could just fit a separate connector within the the fitting enclosure. Then fit the switch live to 1.The neutral does not need looping in if present at the fitting. But a cpc earth would need to go to the switch, so if you have a T&E cable should be sorted.

Basically the light fitting on the landing as a connector block above for the switch .... So I've taken the feed from the connector block to the fitting but then it's left me dumbfounded about how I then add the switch cable lol !? Does the switch neutral become live ? If so where do the live and neutral go etc .... I will post a pic 1st thing in morning thanks for all your help

Where is the switch going to be?
You need to confirm you actual have taken a neutral from the connector.
Do not automatically assume if the cable is black/blue that it is a neutral.
The neutral is considered a live conductor but is not part of the switching arrangement when using a single pole light switch.
You did state that you had done plenty of standard ceiling rose fittings previously, the concept is still the same!

Hi yes I did take a neutral from the connector block and I am aware that the neutral for the switch becomes live , I think the penny as just dropped all the switches are in the block ... Thus being I need to take the switch f,rom the block also !? Obviously on the switch side ? Am I correct in this theory ?

Hi yes I did take a neutral from the connector block
Have you confirmed it as a neutral though?
and I am aware that the neutral for the switch becomes live
Neutrals from switch, be sure about this! don't confuse neutrals with switch lives!
I think the penny as just dropped all the switches are in the block ... Thus being I need to take the switch f,rom the block also !? Obviously on the switch side ? Am I correct in this theory ?
Don't understand what you are talking about!

For the ne light to function by a dependant switch you need a permanent live, a neutral and a CPC/earth, these can be either looped in at the switch or looped in at the light. You then need to form a cable for the switch function which will make or break the live connection to the light. The neutral is very unlikely to be switched unless you are using a double pole switch, it is more common to have a single pole switch though.
Before you take on this task I suggest you do a little research and gain an understanding on how lighting circuits work a good place to start would be the Wiki sections on lighting. //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back