wiring a led TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice for wiring a new led TV. The TV
will be on the wall and will only have about 20mm at the back. I currently have a Mains ring socket about a metre below where the TV will be placed. What I thought was I have two options.

A) tap into the wire and fit a fused switch and then cut the power wire from the TV, as it's a moulded plug, and wire it straight into this socket. I don't need a socket below so I can pull the wire up and get rid off that socket.

B) fit a new socket behind the TV, and recess it into the wall so the plug would be flush with the wall when it is plugged in.

What seems a better option. I know I would lose the warranty if I cut the plug but I can just but a spare and cut that.

Are there any problems with recessing the plug.

Cheers

PS it's an external wall

Sponsored Links
I'd leave the existing socket where it is. You can never have too many sockets.

Fit a switched fused spur at the side of the socket.

From the output of the switched fused spur, run a cable up to behind the TV.

If your TV is fitted with a detatchable power lead such as an IEC connector, connect the cable from the spur, and the cable from the TV together using a flex outlet plate mounted in a flush box behind the TV.

If you TV doesn't have a detatchable lead, then run a flex from the switched fused spur to behind the TV. Connect the flex from the spur, and the cable from the TV together using a domino connector or similar.

Hi thanks for your reply. The issue in running a cable from the original socket is that I will have to chase it into a brick wall for about a metre which is a bit of a nuisance.

Is this the only way, are my options unsafe at all?
Thanks

If I chase electrical cable into a brick wall does it need to be placed in a metal or pvc tube, or can it just be placed in the channel and plastered over?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
one point you must only travel horizontally or vertically from any socket
if you diagonally you need to protect the cable

The TV
will be on the wall and will only have about 20mm at the back.
What are you going to do about all the other cables which go to the TV?

Will 20mm be enough for the plugs on those cables?

I currently have a Mains ring socket about a metre below where the TV will be placed. What I thought was I have two options.
Much of what follows doesn't make sense to me...

A) tap into the wire
Which wire?

and fit a fused switch and then cut the power wire from the TV, as it's a moulded plug, and wire it straight into this socket.
Which socket?

I don't need a socket below so I can pull the wire up and get rid off that socket.
You're sure that the cable for the socket runs down the wall, not up?

And that there is only one? If there is have you checked that it's not an unfused spur?

Is it loose, i.e. will it pull up?

B) fit a new socket behind the TV, and recess it into the wall so the plug would be flush with the wall when it is plugged in.
That would be a lot of work.

I know I would lose the warranty if I cut the plug
No you wouldn't.

Are there any problems with recessing the plug.
It'd be a big hole to cut in the wall.

Thanks for your reply.

The wires I was going to connect to are two electrical cables running up and down to a socket which I presumed, but haven't tested, are part of the ring main. Ie 2 wires are connected into the socket.

I've decided that I would like a switch which would be easily accessible in case of problems so I've gone away from the recessed socket.

Therefore I'm thinking of swapping the socket near the floor level for a fused switch and then running a wire to a flex outlet plate, in which the cable from the TV would be joined. Is a fused switch allowed to be on a ring main. Just wanted to check as normally only fitted them as a spur from a socket. I thought about doing this but don't want to have to make another joke in wall for a new socket and back box.

The other cables go in the side so space behind isn't an issue. I still have to make a channel for these, but I was told that an electrical cable with other cables might affect their signal quality. Don't know if that's rubbish though.

The wires I was going to connect to are two electrical cables running up and down to a socket which I presumed, but haven't tested, are part of the ring main. Ie 2 wires are connected into the socket.
Ah - OK - when you said "the wire" I wondered what was going on.

Therefore I'm thinking of swapping the socket near the floor level for a fused switch and then running a wire to a flex outlet plate, in which the cable from the TV would be joined. Is a fused switch allowed to be on a ring main.
Yup - NP - it's actually the best way.

I thought about doing this but don't want to have to make another joke in wall for a new socket and back box.
Well you're going to need a hole for the back box for the flex outlet plate, and you're gong to need to cut a chase in the wall for the cable to it.

The other cables go in the side so space behind isn't an issue. I still have to make a channel for these, but I was told that an electrical cable with other cables might affect their signal quality. Don't know if that's rubbish though.
It's rubbish, but what isn't rubbish is that you should not mix cables in the same conduit etc unless the insulation on all of them is rated for the highest voltage present.

I doubt that coax, HDMI, SCART, phono etc cables are rated for 230V.

Basically unless you use a wireless one wall-mounted TVs are a PITA to get looking good.

[EDIT]Formatting corrected[/EDIT]

Hi thank you so much for your advice, it's much appreciated.

2 more questions if that's ok.
1) if I wire the TV via the flex outlet plate would I be able to wire two more things from that plate, as I might want to plug in a webcam and a sound bar. I.e. fused switch, wire to flex outlet plate and three wires out from there??

2) I gather you should run wire vertically or horizontally from a socket. At the moment I have two wires running vertically into and out of what will be my fused switch. I want to run another wire vertical but about an inch to the left so it doesn't affect the existing wires, would that be ok or can they only run direcly vertical from the socket?

Thanks again

the cable should run centrally from the box definitely within the width otherwise you have the risk off damage

should be one flex one connection

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back