Wiring a new Ceiling Rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First question is should I be doing this myself at all?
I've taken off the old ceiling rose, which had cracked when fitting a new light bulb. I noticed all 3 red wires were in the same connection hole and the 3 blacks, were arranged 1 to one hole, 2 to another. Now can't remember which hole for each. Doesn't that just raise doubts to my competence? I did at least trun off the electric supply while mucking this up.
I've looked at previous answers, and find that I'm several wires short of a connection, so worried about that too.
One metal connection is labelled with LOOP and the 'earth' symbol and the two others are cased in plastic. Which should the 3 red wires connect to and which the various black ones? I can see which black wires went together but can't otherwise see a difference with them.
Please help, my children need their mother.
Jack
Mrs Jackie LEEVERS :oops:

Sponsored Links
You need to find which wire goes to your switch, this was the one with the seperate black.

If you dont have a multimeter with which to find this, I suggest you wait until tomorrow and call an electrician. You clearly dont have much confidence in your ability to do this. Well done for having a go though!

Most people who post on here for help think they could rewire their whole house, yet struggle to wire a plug. Your post is a refreshing change ;)

EDIT: hang on, you say you can see which black wires went together? These connect to the N or NEUTRAL terminal. The other BLACK (its not neutral) connects to SL or SWITCHED LIVE. The 3 REDs connect to LIVE or LOOP.

crafty1289,
Thanks, I guess the difference is that most other people who post here are men; we woman know our limitations! LOL I'm good with plugs and have done switches before, but never a ceiling rose.
No, I don't have a multimeter and will be contacting an electrician. Best advice possible. Unless I can find another ceiling rose that is better labelled.
I've looked hard at the new rose which came without any packing from a local hardware shop and can't see any other labels on the covered connections, unless the earth symbol goes to one of them, though it looks like the exposed connection to me. I asked the guy serving there and he said he wasn't an electrician, so none the wiser. Why take a chance with your life and your households electrics I say. Electrician first thing Monday.
Thanks for your help. My kids will be grateful too, if they only knew! LOL
AMMENDMENT: I've just reread your answer about which connection's which and think the earth symbol is for a different connection to the LOOP label? Would that be right? If so I can see which is labelled with each. Not sure that this helps me though! LOL Electrician it is.

Jack
Mrs Jackie LEEVERS :)

Sponsored Links
It would be helpful, if the rose was better labelled. That's a great diagram, I didn't find anything so clear when I Googled.
Still can't see which is supposed to be live and neutral on the rose; I'm assuming earth and LOOP are the same one? Wish mine had different bits for each wire. it looks like up to 3 go into each connection hole, which has also baffled me; it's gonna need some force.
Sorry to be so long winded, especially as it's most likely I'll end up calling that electrician tomorrow.
Can anyone give me an idea how much I'd expect to pay? Just so I don't get scammed. I know it's gonna vary depending on area etc, but an idea of a rough amount would help.
Jack
Mrs Jackie LEEVERS

not much I should hope £25 or less(actually I have no idea because I haven't had a spark in for ages)

I just wanted to post soemthing that may be of some help

I'd say that's reasonable. This is an on-the-way-home job and provided nothing else untoward is encountered a spark will do it in 5-10 minutes. If you flutter your eyelids and look a bit helpless we're a sucker for the damsel-in-distress situation and may well charge you even less, simply because it is great PR. I've had several rewires on the back of such jobs! :D

Thanks lads (and lasses!?!)!
I'll try that; fluttering of eyelashes first, then the notes!!!! LOL Can't say the former works on my plumber, but the second does, but he's worth his weight...
I also need a good electrician so will say that there may be more work later, that might grab their attention.
This is a truly great site, just sorry I've no DIY knowledge worth sharing, unless anyone wants me to tell them how to wire a plug; anyone!?!
Jack
Mrs Jackie LEEVERS
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back