Wiring a new dimmer switch ..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Struggling to wire a new dimmer switch here. Want to be sure I'm not going to do something silly.

Old switch had L1 and Common.

Two red wires into L1 and two black into Common.

New switch has L1, Common and L2.

On the new switch the common part is empty (i.e it is just a blank hole, nowhere for the wires to get screwed down onto).

How am I to wire the new dimmer switch?

Pictures attached for assistance.

Old Switch

New Switch

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Clearly shows on the back of the dimmer how it works, just wire the two reds into L1 and blacks into L2.

Clearly shows on the back of the dimmer how it works, just wire the two reds into L1 and blacks into L2.

Edit.

Assuming the reds are perm live and the blacks are switched live, are there two lights in this room?

Sponsored Links
The old switch looks wired in a unconventional manner (by a very bad DIYer my guess), does by any chance the switch control two lights?

ASSUMING red is the permanent live and black is the switched live;
red in L1
black in L2

Though your wiring may not be particularly old, it looks poor, and you may want to get a pro in to check the whole installation, as it looks like a right goon has been let loose in there.

You have 2 terminals on the old switch and 2 terminals on the new switch.

You have 2 sets of wires.

There's even a wiring diagram on the new switch to help you.

Ok, ok, I'll spell it out . . .

It shows Live going into L1, Switched Live going into L2, onward to the light.

Move the wires from COM into L1 and the wires from L1 into L2.

There's no magic in a lightswitch, all it does is break a circuit, it is a simple contact (in the case of a dimmer switch it is a variable contact but does precisely the same job with the same number of wires).

What wattage of lighting are you dimming?

***Why don't we have a common terminal markup for light switches in this country? 18th edition should look at this!***

EDIT: when I started typing this message there were ZERO replies! I'm not a slow typer either lol

I suspect you could have a 2 gang dimmer fitted, so each light could be separately switched, if you wanted.

Thanks all for your help.

Very newbie question and once told, it all starts to become rather obvious doesn't it?

I will endeavour to read the instructions for as long as is necessary next time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back