Wiring a new oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Looking for a new single built in electrical oven. Current oven is plugged in to a double socket which is connected to a cooker switch on the wall. This is on its own circuit to the CU.

Can anyone offer me any guidance, please?

Sponsored Links
Ovens are supplied with the plug not fitted.* You fit the plug, you plug it in. Simples.

*In response to EFL below, I mean they come with a flex and a plug is provided, but you have to wire it up yourself.

Last edited:
Oooh. That may not be the case.

Ovens that are supplied with a plug can be plugged in;

ones which aren't probably should not be and likely won't have a flex either.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. This is causing the confusion. None come with a lead/plug so I'm thinking do they all need hardwiring? However, as I've an oven switch on it's own circuit, can a lead/plug be attached to the oven and plugged in to the double socket considering it's connected to the cooker switch?

Thanks. This is causing the confusion. None come with a lead/plug so I'm thinking do they all need hardwiring? However, as I've an oven switch on it's own circuit, can a lead/plug be attached to the oven and plugged in to the double socket considering it's connected to the cooker switch?
It can only be supplied via a plug/socket if the current requirement is low enough (which will often not be the case with an oven designed for hard-wiring) - and, even then, some would probably say that it's not the ideal way of connecting an oven.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back