Wiring a new spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new socket put in and the cable go's directly to the fuse box. Can I take a fused spur off this socket?

Sponsored Links
If I can does the fsu go in front of both sockets or between the existing socket and spur?

Tell me about the connection at the fusebox.
What size fuse/breaker is on this circuit?
Is it the only connection to this fuse or is it sharing a breaker with another (ring final)circuit.
What sized cable have u used to connect the new socket.
Is this circuit RCD protected??

I do not know as i had an electrician do it. I imagine it will share with other circuits, it is protected with a breaker.

Sponsored Links
Cannot answer your question, then.
Imagine is not a or use science.
Need the information because:
1. If it is own it's own breaker it will be a radial circuit so a fused spur may not be required.
2. If it shares a other breaker. Is it a 30/32amp device that serves a ring final. If so you already have a spur so an flu is needed before the first socket on that spur before you add any more.
Need to know the cable size to determine if it is big enough.
Need to know if the circuit is RCD protected as all standard domestic sockets must be RCD protected.

Suggest you turn power off on the main switch of you installation, carefully remove the cover of the consumer unit and take a picture. Then post it on here. See forum rules on how to do this.
Make sure you identify which cable is the that has been added.
May possibly then be able to advise further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back