wiring a shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :)

The shed is fully wired up (3 lights/3 sockets) and I have the 4mm armoured cable ready to connect to a socket in the house.

My questions are:

1. what should I use to attach to the house where the armoured cable enters?
Just an adaptable box? I think I would prefer some some of switch or socket. I have been told that whatever it is it needs to be 32amp (or 30amp)

2. My electrician has suggested i use a BS4343 32amp socket (blue) but I cant find any that attach to the wall. The ones that attach to the wall seem to be 16amp, the 32amp ones all seem to connected to a cable.

3. Perhaps a jo-jo or a double pole switch?

4. What would the minimum IP rating need to be? I would think 65 or am I being too cautious?

I hope that makes sense :confused:

Thanks,

Happyhippydad

Sponsored Links
Well the first thing you will need is a better tester than your neon screwdriver.
The second is an understanding of the Building Regulations, how they relate to BS7671 and how they need to be interpreted for the work you have already commenced.
The third thing will be a copy of guidance note 3.

This is a good book to start with..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/08634186...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=0863418627

Sponsored Links
I am a nurse. I know nothing about electrics.

I would love to be able to start off doing some simple wiring around the house and at some point wire up my garden shed.
I would like a low wattage (50-100W) heated electric towel rail in my small shower room ... I do not want to get involved with wiring into the mains...
I am simply interested in electrics but at a real beginners level.
The shed is fully wired up (3 lights/3 sockets) and I have the 4mm armoured cable ready to connect to a socket in the house.
So it's 30-50m to the shed. What route does the SWA take to get there?

What makes you think that an unfused spur is allowed to serve 3 sockets and 3 lights?

What testing do you plan to do, and with what?

Did you follow, read, and follow up any of these links?:

I think I would prefer some some of switch or socket.
So now you want to add a 4th socket to this spur? :eek:

I have been told that whatever it is it needs to be 32amp (or 30amp)
blind-leading-the-blind11.jpg

My electrician
What electrician is that then?

The one you couldn't afford to use to install a bathroom heater for you a few weeks ago?

3. Perhaps a jo-jo
You don't think an MK would be better?

I can't decide if you're a complete fool or a troll....

Thankyou Taylortwocities,

I'm a fool.. but quite a happy one.

From all the shocked expressions I'm assuming tapping into the ring main is not the best idea, at least thats what I think you're all suggesting. To be fair to myself I have only put this post up to make sure what the electrician is suggesting is ok, so i am actually trying to be safe.

Are you saying that it would be much safer to have its own circuit running from the consumer unit? Would it be dangerous to use the ring main or is that just the law going way over the top with health and safety?

I shall be a bit hesitant to log in again to read the replies :oops: , but I might be grinning a little as well ;)

I look back at what I have written in this thread and am embarrassed.

Since starting this thread I have started a domestic installers course which I am progressing very well in.

I would just like to say that I was a little dissappointed with the sarcasm from some of the more experienced members (Ban-all-sheds).

You are probably very capable and experienced but your reply simple made me stop asking questions and join another forum.

From this new (electricians) forum I was given advice about the shed that was designed to help me learn, not make me feel silly. It also made me realise that I should undertake a course, which i have almost completed.

In a few years I will start offering advice on forums to people like myself who start threads like this one and write rather silly things. I will then take the time to point them in the right direction without disheartening them.

Good for you. You should never take anything personal on the Internet. But if the fact you felt ridicule and subsequently bettered yourself that's a positive. :)

Fab to hear that you've gone out and done something about it. Don't look at sheer number of posts as a mark of experience, maybe the ratio of posts to thanks is a better yardstick.

Your post reminds me of reading a query once where a guy asked advice about fitting firedoors. He was ridiculed for asking some basic questions about them. It turned out he was a time served Shipwright and probably knew more about working wood than most people who'd posted to the thread. The knowledge was more than there but he just needed to know where to find the spec.

Okay, not quite the same, but it made some people reconsider who they were taking the mick out of, or, more importantly - why they were doing it.

Thanks for the 3 positive replies :D

I am finding electrics really interesting now and so far have passed every exam first time and have passed all the practical as well (so Far!).

Probably best just to ignore the other rather silly and rather unhappy man :(

I would just like to say that I was a little dissappointed with the sarcasm from some of the more experienced members (Ban-all-sheds).
I want to learn! ... I know nothing about electrics ... Any good ideas to get me started.

One of the replies you got was this:

No sarcasm, just a straightforward 100% useful answer to your question.

And then what?

Almost 4 months later you return displaying so much ignorance and incompetence that it was quite clear that you had not bothered to read one word that came out of your original request for guidance.

And you wonder why you got sarcasm?

Clown.

You are probably very capable and experienced but your reply simple made me stop asking questions and join another forum.
You might as well stop, because you obviously have no interest whatsoever in any answers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back