wiring a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys new to the site looks to be very helpful. I have a friend/customer who has a shed built to have as a beauty and massage room. They want 4 lights inside and 2 outside I no they need 1
5mm cable. They want both switches in the same back box but want the outside and inside lights to switch on and off separetly. I cant for the life of me remember the name of the switch they need to ask for. I have 2 gang in my head can you help

Sponsored Links
5mm² that's a rare size which makes me think you have no idea as to what you are doing.

Sorry if I am wrong but doing work for some one else you have to have a "warranty of skill" this is very different to DIY. To demonstrate this warranty of skill one would normally issue a minor works certificate which in turn means using test gear.

Likely you could do what you say using a grid switch with a fuse and two switches but it's not simply a case of building up like a Lego toy you need far more to decide if TT or exported TN-C-S and where to take the supply from.

If im honest I think your response is rude. If you look there was a 1 before the 5. I had missed the . Out by accident. I get that lighting is done in 1.5mm and sockets done in 2.5mm. Im not doing the work im a floor fitter. Fitting the floor. I was just after advice for them.

]I no they need 1
5mm cable. They want...
5mm² that's a rare size which makes me think you have no idea as to what you are doing.
eric, you may be right in your conclusion but, in terms of the issue of cable size you mention, I suspect the OP hit the Return key when he meant to type a decimal point - i.e. he probably meant 1.5mm² cable.

Kind Regards, John
Edit: whoops, somehow missed the OP's response. At least I was right!

Sponsored Links
I would advise them to allow for sockets too as they will need them for hot stones and other paraphernalia.

Lighting is not necessarily in 1.5 (it could be smaller, or larger).

Sockets are not necessarily in 2.5 (they could be smaller, or larger).

They are having 3 double sockets they have the 2.5mm cable already. Also having a spur for heating and then the lighting all coming off a new small fuse board which will be fed from a spare space on the existing space on original board in the house. Trench is dug to house a 4mm 3 core armourd cable. May all be overkill but its incase things are added later. What size fuse should they use in the original board??

20 amp in the house consumer unit. You don't need another small CU in the shed. Sockets can be run straight off the feed. Each light switch needs to be a switch fused spur unit.

So instead of feeding a new consumer from the house you would just feed a switched spur? Then take lights and sockets off that?

A defective appliance could trip a protective device on the socket circuit.

This trip should not leave the building in darkness otherwise safety could be compromised.

beauty and massage room
If there are customers using the room then there are requirements for emergency lighting to come on automatically in the event of loss of power.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back