Wiring a table lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am retiring this old projector with new plug lamp base etc.

So I understand that if it is double insulted there is no need for an earth. But I can't find a sign suggesting it is - the 2 squares.
So I guess I need to crimp a terminal to the earth and connect the earth to the lamp base?
Then test the earth with a multimeter
????

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 157
Sponsored Links
There is an earth there, it is at the base of the lamp holder.
That is not a double insulated item. The double square symbol is a relatively recent sign, introduced several decades after that projector was made!

So you must earth it, much like it is now.

Thank u
The lamp base is new as is all the electrical components but I think, like you, it isn't double insulated. To earth it - I crimp a washer like terminal on the end of the earth, scratch some paint off the metal and attach it?

Sponsored Links
The lampholder if it has a metal thread, may have an earth terminal inside, they are awkward to open sometimes without breaking, but you will need to anyway to connect L and N.
It will look neater with the 3 cores all in the holder rather than the earth external, which also means the tag can then be removed
The metal lamp will pick its earth up via the metal thread and nut.
A new holder with internal earth is less than a fiver if needbe.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back