wiring a thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys - im getting this honywell thermostat to wire up to my vaillant ecotec 831...can this be surface mounted ?..my room has recently been skimmed and painted, dont really want to take chunks out the wall and run a channel for wires..also what type wire is used ? ta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3g5JdkENA4

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
yes dan ive read some reviews about salus, lots of problems...honywell or vaillant are my choice...anyway off topic, i dont understand how having a room thermostat will be beneficial, for example, comsider my scenerio, i require central heating to run in the cold days all over the house, in the night.. especially the loft as its converted into a room and its very cold, the room downstairs where room thermostat is set at say 21 Degress...in the loft and other bedrooms say i need 25 degress as its much colder....so once the temp in the room reches 21 degrees wont the boiler switch off and hence switch off heating to all other rooms where i need them to be much warmer....??????

I require central heating to run in the cold days all over the house, in the night.. especially the loft as its converted into a room and its very cold, the room downstairs where room thermostat is set at say 21 Degrees...in the loft and other bedrooms say i need 25 degrees as its much colder....so once the temp in the room reaches 21 degrees wont the boiler switch off and hence switch off heating to all other rooms where i need them to be much warmer....??????
If you need 25C upstairs, it's not because the rooms are colder. After all the outside temperature is the same whichever floor you are on. You need a higher temperature because you feel colder, which will be due to draughts and poor insulation. In any case the recommended temperature for a bedroom is 18C!

If you really do need 25C upstairs and 21C downstairs, then you have to size the radiators accordingly, i.e put in larger ones upstairs so the upstairs rooms reach 25C when the downstairs ones reach 21C.

If you need 25C upstairs, it's not because the rooms are colder. After all the outside temperature is the same whichever floor you are on. You need a higher temperature because you feel colder, which will be due to draughts and poor insulation. In any case the recommended temperature for a bedroom is 18C!

If you really do need 25C upstairs and 21C downstairs, then you have to size the radiators accordingly, i.e put in larger ones upstairs so the upstairs rooms reach 25C when the downstairs ones reach 21C.

rads were done 20 odd years ago, even the bloke who fitted them has passed away since..end terrace house doesnt help, exposed gable end one side...ive lways used the timer on the boiler set to come on between certain time in the day and then a certain time at night..used trvs turned up or down in what ever room i need more heat...set temp at boiler...so i really think this room thermostat is good only if you are going to live as a family in only 1 room...lol, think ill do away with a thermostat...unless it somehow affects boiler warranty and the law is set in concrete...just dont see the point...

end terrace house doesn't help, exposed gable end one side
Have you insulated the housse - if possible? If not, see Energy Savings Trust Grant Search. This lists all the special offers, some of them free.

I've always used the timer on the boiler set to come on between certain time in the day and then a certain time at night..used trvs turned up or down in what ever room i need more heat...set temp at boiler
But the TRVs will not turn the boiler off when all the rooms are up to temperature. The boiler will only go off when the water reaches temperature. This means the boiler will carry on running, even when the house is up to temperature.

That wastes gas, and is the reason a room thermostat is required by Building Regulations.

...parents not too techy with with all this wireless tech stuff..
THEY don't have to be, so long as YOU set it up right for them. All they need is to know where the UP and DOWN buttons are for the temperature.

thanks guys for your views...trouble is warmfront grants available to anyone who is unemployed or on benefits, ive been working all my life im entitled to fook all...we have already tried these warm front people i think they are called or was something similar...our gable end wall is solid brick wall, you cant have cavity insulation in there...seems like you have to be dole scrounger or on benefits to get anything free from this poxy government...seems unemployed people are better then working ones, everythings paid for..fookin makes my blood boil,, :evil:

Dont forget loft insulation.

And you really don't want a warmfront installation. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back