Wiring a two way switch one way!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need a little help please. Being a woman all these diagrams I have looked at have confused me! I have a light in my lounge and am trying to replace the switch. I realise now that the crabtree dimmer that I bought is two way but this is a one way application. Therefore I have live, neutral and earth coming in and need to know what goes where as think maybe I have to link some up to get it to work. The switch has L1, L2 and C. Please can someone tell me what goes where? Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Connect live to C
Neutral will be a switch live (should be identified by either red/brown sleeving). Connect this to L1
Leave L2 empty and connect the earth to the box behind the swith in the wall.

edit. Does the switch have a metal front, Ive assumed it hasnt. If it has connect the green/yellow to the earth terminal on the switch.

edit 2. See //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting and the Dimmer Switch section, explains all :)

And to the dimmer plate if it's metallic.

Also, what you say about using L1 is correct procedure, but if you think about it, a dimmer (or SP pullcord) could be wired using L2 for the switchwire of a 1 way light instead.

The diagrams don't explain nothing to me - straight over my head! lol

Yes it is chrome fronted crabtree dimmer. I have tried red to L1 and black to L2, red to L1 and black to common, black to L1 and red to common and none of these combinations work.

Do you possibly think that my dimmer is faulty or just me being useless!

Many thanks for all your help...

Sponsored Links
It should work with red in C and the black in either L1 or L2.

Next thing is to just connect black and red together and see if the light still works!
If it does still work then either the dimmer is now faulty or your lights aren't dimmable.

I had another 2 way light switch so decided to try that as instructed and it works. Obviously the Crabtree Dimmer is faulty after all that. Just typical. Thanks everyone! J

stupid questions first.....

1) what are you trying to dim?
2) is it the push to turn on type? and did you push it?

the reason for asking 1 is that some CFL lights don't like being dimmed. ( CLF is the energy saving ones )

Being a woman
Completely irrelevant.

all these diagrams I have looked at have confused me!
Keep looking at them, seeing how lighting circuits are built up, and tracing the current paths into and out of 2-way switches until they do not confuse you any more.

Realise that if you are going to do any work on your electrics a multimeter is an essential tool, get one, learn how to operate it, and use it on its resistance/continuity setting to see what a 2-way switch (not a dimmer) does inside.

The diagrams don't explain nothing to me - straight over my head!
Don't attempt any electrical work until they don't go over your head.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back