Wiring an induction cooker alongside a plug-in oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been asked before but I've read a lot of posts and can't seem to find a straight answer.

I am installing an induction cooker (hardwired) alongside an oven with a plug. Currently there is a double socket behind the oven. It is on a 32A circuit which should be fine.

Untitled.jpg

So I need to somehow replace this with one socket and one cooker outlet. Is there a "normal" way to do this? I see two options:

1. Replace the double socket with something like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/45a-2-gang-dp-cooker-switch-13a-dp-switched-socket-white/3285d. But you would have to cut a hole in the plasterboard above the socket to feed the induction cooker cable in behind. This seems dodgy.

30955_P.jpeg

2. Install a separate cooker outlet and single socket. But this will require extra wiring and is probably beyond what I can do as a DIYer.

1708977900701.png
1708977924851.png

Any advice on what the best approach would be here is very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
But - is that a 32A cooker circuit which has been fitted with a doble socket or is it the 32A kitchen socket circuit?

Sorry yeah, it's a dedicated 32A cooker circuit. It goes CU -> Cooker switch -> double socket, nothing else

The first thing I would be doing is figuring out what size the cable is.

If it's 6mm² then you can probablly just put in a single box next to the exsting double scoket and continue the wiring to it. If the socket has small terminals you may need to replace it with a different brand that has larger terminals.

If it's 10mm² then you have the problem that the terminals of a socket probablly won't take 2x10mm². You could fit a cooker control unit on the existing box and fit a cooker outlet next to it.

Sponsored Links
The first thing I would be doing is figuring out what size the cable is.

If it's 6mm² then you can probablly just put in a single box next to the exsting double scoket and continue the wiring to it. If the socket has small terminals you may need to replace it with a different brand that has larger terminals.

If it's 10mm² then you have the problem that the terminals of a socket probablly won't take 2x10mm². You could fit a cooker control unit on the existing box and fit a cooker outlet next to it.
Thanks for the reply, that makes sense and seems manageable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back