Wiring Downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently purchased fire rated mains GU10 downlights. As I've the ceiling off at the moment the wiring's relatively straight forward. However, I will be using 1.5 cable and have found that looping in and out of the connector there is very little room to refix the block cover. To my first question: Can I run parallel from 1 to 2 to 3 etc using a junction box before each fitting. Then run cable from box to fitting which would allow me to connect to block with single length of cable ? Hope that makes sense.

My second is more of a query. These fire rated fittings are basically a metal encloser. The cables enter from the block via holes in the top of the fitting. I cant help but wonder if the metal casing gets hot why wouldn't it soften or even melt as it rests against its metal surround. The block has a terminal for the earth but is not actually connected to the metal fitting. How?, why?.........

You Sparky's may be shaking your head at my ignorance but I'm a decorator and shake my head at pva debates etc. so be kind! :D

Sponsored Links
Frankie_Johnie said:
I've recently purchased fire rated mains GU10 downlights. As I've the ceiling off at the moment the wiring's relatively straight forward. However, I will be using 1.5 cable and have found that looping in and out of the connector there is very little room to refix the block cover. To my first question: Can I run parallel from 1 to 2 to 3 etc using a junction box before each fitting. Then run cable from box to fitting which would allow me to connect to block with single length of cable ? Hope that makes sense.
I can't see any reason why not.

Frankie_Johnie said:
I've recently purchased fire rated mains GU10 downlights.

Which make did you go for? I'm trying to find some fire rated adjustable brass fittings, but can't seem to get them anywhere. Lots of white or chrome though :confused: I thought I would give the fire rated ones a go as fitting smoke hoods from below is a real pain and costly. Also the fire rated ones keep the accoustic status quo.

Sponsored Links
Frankie_Johnie said:
I'm a decorator and shake my head at pva debates
PVA fnaarr fnaarr
lesley_sanderson_big_brother_09.jpg

fnaarr fnaarr...

Oh hang on - I'm thinking of PVC....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back