Wiring EV charger.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Floorboards are up temporarily so want to take advantage and get the wiring through for an EV charger

My question is is my existing set up okay for something like a 7.5kw EV charger?

Also what size cable(s) do I need?

Consumer unit is 4m away from where EV charger will be. EV charger will be on external wall where trench is

Attachments

• IMG_20220710_120243660_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220710_120243660_HDR.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20220710_115745710.jpg
    IMG_20220710_115745710.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20220710_115804098.jpg
    IMG_20220710_115804098.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20220710_120222454_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220710_120222454_HDR.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 106
Sponsored Links
6mm² cable would be the usual choice.
That consumer unit is not suitable unless it can be altered to accommodate an RCBO and surge protection.
The blank holes need to be filled with the appropriate blanks, not random lengths of tape.

6mm² cable would be the usual choice.
That consumer unit is not suitable unless it can be altered to accommodate an RCBO and surge protection.
The blank holes need to be filled with the appropriate blanks, not random lengths of tape.
Would 6mm SWA 3 core suffice?

Or would I need special cable like this from toolstation? i.e. 6mm 3 core power + Cat 5e

The toolstation cable does not look armoured would I have to protect it with something like plastic plumbing ducting pipe as it enters the ground and through the building?

I have the following consumer unit

Is it just a case of fitting and RCBO and surge protection for the EV charger alone, or would all the MCB's/RCD's need to be changed?

If Cat5e is required for an internet connection, current monitoring or both of those, that cable could be used.
Alternatively separate cables could be used for the supply and data.
If only a power supply is required, then 6mm² SWA will be fine.

Non-armoured cables are not suitable for use underground unless installed in steel conduit or similar.

That consumer unit is sold as a 'dual RCD' item, which almost certainly means it only has 2 neutral busbars and no facility for installing RCBOs or anything else.
A new circuit for EV cannot be connected to either of the existing RCDs.

Sponsored Links
The completing of documents are a problem, can't sign that one has done something when you haven't, and I know my son had problems with on going work when he stopped being a sole trader.

Some jobs can take over a year from start to finish, where it stops for some reason, not only electric, I have started getting railing on house, which has been going on for over a year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back