Wiring external lights/pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for this question in advance for being a dunce!

I have a low voltage water pump and 2 sets of lights and have run the wires ready to install (they have internal transformers). I have bought 3 external switches - they have com and L1 ports as well as earth.

I can easily link into a socket - would this be OK and if so how would you recmmend I wire up?

Thx

Sponsored Links
You mean extra low voltage pump!
You could spur from a socket providing this was not already a spurred socket from ring final circuit.
I would suggest using a double pole switched fused connection when spurring form socket outlet, this will allow you to down fuse and offer two pole isolation for external equipment. It is a requirement that any cable buried within walls less than 50mm and without proper mechanical protection must have 30mA RCD protection, so if you are burying within walls cable you need RCD protection at least on the new bit of cable, if not already offered at fuse board/CU.
Also cables must when buried run in the permitted safe zones.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls.
With regards to wiring, what do the manufacturers instruction recommend

I can easily link into a socket - would this be OK and if so how would you recmmend I wire up?

Thx

How would you plan to do this? How would you get the cable(s) up the garden top the various locations?
Armoured cable, buried 400mm deep or bits of flex draped over the trees?

Impossible to say without a full layout of what is where, distances, hazards, etc

PS Low voltage means between 50 and 1000 volts AC, do you really mean low, or do you mean extra low?

Something like THIS is a much better bet than separate switches as you dont have to worry about sealing the interconnects. Some of these have remote controls too.

Sponsored Links
I have a low voltage water pump and 2 sets of lights and have run the wires ready to install (they have internal transformers).
The "(extra) low voltage water pump" presumably does not have an 'internal transformer', otherwise it wouldn't be extra low voltage. Where are you proposing to house its transformer.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back