Wiring gas hob and electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I'm currently ripping out the kitchen and replacing with new units. I have an electric oven which runs on a 13 amp fused plug. I also have a gas hob which is powered by a 3 amp plug.

I intend to hard wire these into a 32 amp cooker/ plug socket combined to make the appearance nicer :D

The existing double socket has been replaced with the socket/ cooker switch and the socket is now live with the existing wiring from the double.

As the wiring from the hob is not long enough I have used a junction box to connect the wires from the hob and cooker together. Would it be okay to use 2.5mm T&E cable to run the cable to the cooker switch?

I have used the cooker and hob on this set up and it appears fine although I'm not sure about whether it will stand the test of time, and I don't want any fire hazards in the future...

Would I be better to use 6mm cable instead as the feed from the switch and replace the junction box with a cooker outlet plate?

Advice would be much appreciated....

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Connect the same size cable as the feed (probably 6mm²) to the cooker switch and run to a double socket behind the oven.

Run the cable in an 'L' shape so that it lines up with the accessories.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back