Wiring help wanted

This is as much cabling as seems to want to come out of the ceiling easily. I'm hoping there's a block of earth wires up there somewhere.
You can see a cable with a cut live. I'm assuming that this is the switch wire with the cut live at the other end. It has a switched live connecting with two other lives.
I am presuming that the blue clamp is the other switched live, and the live from this cable goes to the lamp that would be here.
There are then three neutrals all connected.

Sponsored Links
I'm hoping there's a block of earth wires up there somewhere.
Don't hope - check and test.

You can see a cable with a cut live. I'm assuming that this is the switch wire with the cut live at the other end. It has a switched live connecting with two other lives.
Don't assume - check and test.

I am presuming that the blue clamp is the other switched live, and the live from this cable goes to the lamp that would be here.
There are then three neutrals all connected.
Don't presume - check and test.

Watson - you must now either prove that when I wrote

There are some irresponsible people here who will tell you that there is a Plan C, which is to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why. Please don't listen to them.

I knew it to be false, or you must withdraw your accusation of lying, and apologise.

Who do you think you are? I'll tell you a nobody and a disgusting lying disgrace.

Thank you, ban-all-sheds. You made your position clear with your first post. There was no need to re-iterate. I may well have to resort to elements of Plan A, but Plan B is working here quite satisfactorily for me at the moment. I might even try Plan C with the ring live, just for the sheer hell of it.

Sponsored Links
So watson - you've done it again.

Would you care to explain why you think it is acceptable behaviour to make accusations like that when you know that there is no evidence?

Oh - and I know who I am. I am someone who will not tolerate abuse like yours.

Thank you, ban-all-sheds. You made your position clear with your first post. There was no need to re-iterate.
With a post containing assuming and presuming it looks like you are still trying electrical-installation-by-guesswork.

I may well have to resort to elements of Plan A, but Plan B is working here quite satisfactorily for me at the moment.
Plan B is get an electrician.

I'm well aware of what Plan B is. How I choose to interpret and employ it is down to me, as are the words I choose whilst implementing it. My Plan B is working at the moment, barring the odd distraction.

If your Plan B involves you fiddling with wiring when you don't truly understand how it works, and what you are doing, then you are behaving foolishly.

You are not the foolish police.

You can advise, as you have done already.

But there is no point, having advised someone, continuing to do so if they refuse your advice.

Umm, thank you, but if you read my posts, you will see that I haven't refused the advice. I've chosen not to act upon all of it just yet, in case someone else might be able to help resolve the issue. There's nothing wrong with the advice itself, just plenty with the way in which it has been delivered.

Since the problem seems to lie in the cabling above the ceiling, which is neither visible nor readily accessible at the moment, can everybody please consider this thread closed. In the meantime I will work out how to use a multimeter, once I've "excavated" the rest of the cabling.

Thanks for your help, winston1.

You are not the foolish police.

You can advise, as you have done already.

But there is no point, having advised someone, continuing to do so if they refuse your advice.
Just making sure that he was made fully aware of the folly of trying to do electrical work by guessing.

Hi, It looks like the red sleeved black on its own in the switch (ie in the sleeved black in same twin and earth as the unused red) is really a feed! So, if you reverse this cable with the top red in the switch which has a loop over to the other common at the top and leave that red link in, the two lights should work independently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back