Wiring help with Cat5e KATT-RJLP connector.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I purchased a couple Cat5e faceplates, which I assumed would be fairly straightforward to fit.

They are Molex branded (WNC-00007-02) and include a KATT-RJLP connector for the Cat5e cable to terminate.

The connector has 4 colours (blue, brown, green and orange) marked, but it is not apparent how these relate to the solid colour vs. white and colour wires. I've searched via google, but can't shed any light definitively on which pins are which.

Any ideas or information would be greatly received.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would assume the orange goes to orange and the orange/white goes to the white above it

Sponsored Links
That was my initial thought, but the difficulty with that is that the colour is between 2 connectors, so there's nothing obvious to indicate whether the colour or white and colour goes above or below or somewhere else entirely.

Either use your multimeter to establish which connector is connected to which pin, or ask Molex to tell you. It's a poor show that it didn't come with proper instructions.

And if you haven't already, invest in a proper IDC punchdown tool, don't use one of those disposable plastic jobbies, and read up on how to separate the conductors at the faceplate and practice getting it right before doing the final install.

in the absence of any instructions all you can really do is guess. I would use a spare length of cable and but a plug on one end and the socket on the other and use a tester to work out how it should be wired that way.

This might help. Note that pairs of pins are

1 & 2

4 & 5

7 & 8

3 & 6

Pin 8 is brown and pin 7 is white of brown
Pin 4 is blue and pin 5 is white of blue

Pns 1 2 3 and 6 can be wired either as A or as B . The choice depends on what iequipment is being interconnected

CAT5-pairs.jpg

Many thanks. That would appear to match up with the connector exactly. Is it taken from one?

The markings on that device are certainly unclear, so testing with a patch cord plugged in would be the quick way to work it out.

As for the A vs. B wiring scheme, too many people seem to make far too much of it. Either scheme connects the jacks at each end the same way, i.e. the pair on 1 & 2 at one end goes to 1 & 2 at the other, and the pair on 3 & 6 at one end goes to 3 & 6 on the other. The only difference is in which of the orange/white and green/white pairs is used for which, so as long as you connect the same way at both ends, it doesn't matter. If you already have wiring to one standard, then it makes sense to be consistent, but it won't affect operation at all.

Either scheme connects the jacks at each end the same way, i.e. the pair on 1 & 2 at one end goes to 1 & 2 at the other, and the pair on 3 & 6 at one end goes to 3 & 6 on the other.

That is true in a straight cable and most cables are straight. But not all, some leads are crossed to enable interconnection of two items of equipment Pins 1&2 at one end connect at the other end to a different pair of pins to connect the TX pair of one item to the RX pair of the other item. Fixed cabling should not have crossed leads, any crossing being done in patch leads between socket and equipment. But it is not unknown to have crossed cable in fixed cabling.

Either scheme connects the jacks at each end the same way, i.e. the pair on 1 & 2 at one end goes to 1 & 2 at the other, and the pair on 3 & 6 at one end goes to 3 & 6 on the other. The only difference is in which of the orange/white and green/white pairs is used for which, so as long as you connect the same way at both ends, it doesn't matter.
That's obviously true of a lead with connectors at both ends. However, if (as in the OP's case) one is wiring an outlet, it is clearly necessary that conductors are connected to the socket in a manner that is compatible with whatever is going to be plugged into it.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back