Wiring Hive to oil powered central heating boiler

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi,

I have an oil fed Geminox FCX 30c boiler (https://www.manualslib.com/products/Geminox-Fcx-30-C-4112227.html) which has REG 103 (FBR1) ambient thermostat connected to it (as well as an external probe thermometer)

The boiler has a mains power cable that plugs into socket in boiler room and the wire from the thermometer runs though the wall into the living room. The thermostat is an ambience thermostat that allows you to change the temperature to +/- 5 degree to the "comfort temperature" which is set on the boiler (set to 20 deg). So the by moving the dial on the thermostat the temp can be set to -15 though to 25 deg.

The wire connecting the thermostat to the boiler is telephone line cable. Only 3 wires are used - white, blue, brown from the thermostat to the boiler. The manual for both boiler and thermostat doesn't provide any great detail on the connections.

I'm trying to work out if/how an Hive Active Receiver can be wired into the system.

I've done a simple diagram of how the wires are currently running and have the REG103 / FBR1 manual page.

current wiring.jpg

vDsdWc4

B6Pkmx7

REG 103.JPG

dG5QNgX

I can see how the permanent live and permanent neutral would would go but am bit stuck trying to work out how the others should be connected - ie the connect Common (1), Heating off (2), Heating on (3).
hive receiver.jpg

I'm assuming i can ignore the external sensor and leave that alone.

Any help, thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
you only need 1 and 3 they are your switched lives, forget 2 , gas or oil they are exactly the same , a million posts on here about them, LNE and the switching wires nothing else

Thanks for the reply Ian.

I've re-uploaded the images as they didnt seem to be displaying but are ok now.

From your reply and other posts I can see how i only need to wire in L, N and 1 and 3 on the Hive receiver. I understand how to L, N can be wired from power terminal block in boiler but its the 1 and 3 i am unsure of.

Just to clarify, currently when the boiler is on it is always on - as you can see from diagram it has a direct mains connection via normal plug as a power source. The ambient thermostat then provides the call for heat on/off i assume. What threw me slightly was the telephone wire cable (but this is valid as its mentioned in the manual) from the thermostat to the boiler - plus i cant find any indication of what the 3 wires are - aside from the colour of them.

I'd sort of assumed i would just need to fully disconnect current thermostat as that will be replaced by the Hive wireless on. But what I'm unsure of is how to wire in the 1 and 3 terminals on the Hive receiver.

Thanks for any inputs!

Dave

Sponsored Links
@simb82 Well, I guess i don't see it as a downgrade. The boiler is in a garage so you have to go outside to change the core setting on it or do anything to it. The current thermostat only allows +/- 5 changes and not setting to an actual required temperature. Multiple thermostats can also be added easily onto Hive wirelessly. The current thermostat is an ugly cheap looking plastic thing. Finally, probably most importantly I work away all week so want to be able to adjust the temperature remotely for a number of reasons. Why would you think of it as a downgrade? Am i missing something? Curious!

That said I'm not sure this boiler is a good suitability for Hive with its ambient thermostat connection. And i dont want to use the Hive to turn the boiler fully off/on - just send a "call for heat" which I am not sure can be done - hence the question. Further reading of the manual says the boiler supports a BM REG 108 thermostat which is 4 wire connection- the Geminox boiler manual says to consult the thermostat manual - which doesn't seem to be available anywhere with any wiring details.

Hi all I've been looking and scratching my head if i can do the hive on my oil heating only system i have in France.. Its an Bosch olio condens f3000 (only sold in France) same as a Geminox FCX.. There was an internal room stat in the lounge (was a 3 core bosch reg103) but when i opened the rear of the boiler the terminal block was a 4 way so i wasn't sure which way it plugged in because it had been butchered a bit and i didn't want to plug in wrong and blow a board! . My electrical friend came out with me last week and thinks i may not be able to fit Hive due to the boiler using a BUS system and hive can't cope with this.. Is this right ??? here is the photo of the rear ... thanks for any advice ... Would be lovely to turn on heating before i leave UK to a heated house...
93947DCB-CA2D-4BAF-BC59-0ECDBE2BB0FD.jpeg
D80B48E8-51CB-4279-A763-8F7FD06991A4.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back