Wiring in air compressor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought an air compressor for my garage, which states it requires a minimum supply of 40A (it is not 3 phase).

At the other end of the garage, about 6m away, through the door and in the hallway, is the consumer unit, an old style one with BS3036 fuses.

I don't want to start running wires around, especially as the compressor will not be used that much, so what I was wondering is if I could have something like:

http://www.neweysonline.co.uk/newle...d-range/1051013020/ProductInformation.raction

on the end of the compressor, and have a plug wired into a suitable fuse and sited next to the consumer unit. That way I can plug it in only when needed.

1) Is the above a viable option, and are any of these connectors rated above 32A?

2) Is there any easier way to do this, or what would be the best way?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you want the compressor in teh garage then you are going to have to run some cable around.

The CEEFORM connectors are available in various sizes
eg 16A, 32A, 40A. 63A. 80A. 100A. 125A.

But you are going to need to add a new circuit and you wont be able to do it on that old fuseboard.

So a separate 40amp switch fuse will be needed plus some hefty cable.
This is notifiable work and you'll need a registered electrician to do the stuff for you.

I was wondering is if I could have something like:

http://www.neweysonline.co.uk/newle...d-range/1051013020/ProductInformation.raction

on the end of the compressor, and have a plug wired into a suitable fuse and sited next to the consumer unit. That way I can plug it in only when needed.
That arrangement is called a widowmaker, don't consider it for a second.

And why? If you want that sort of thing why on earth have that lethal arrangement instead of a plug on the compressor and a socket by the CU? :rolleyes:

1) Is the above a viable option, and are any of these connectors rated above 32A?
What do you think?:

http://www.neweysonline.co.uk/newlec-industrial-connector-32a-2p%2Be-230v-standard-range/1051013020/ProductInformation.raction

2) Is there any easier way to do this, or what would be the best way?
Do you have a spare way in your fusebox?

If you do, does the box you have support a 45A fuse? (Most don't.)

Do you know how to work out the cable size you'll need for a 45A BS3036?

Are you aware that a new circuit requires notification?

What will you do about testing?

40A, 80A and 100A? I've never seen or heard of these. BS EN 60309 certainly makes no reference to 40A or 80A variants.

North American versions are sometimes rated differently, but are functionally identical. They use 20A, 30A, 60A and 100A for what we call 16A, 32A, 63A and 125A.

Sponsored Links
If you want the compressor in teh garage then you are going to have to run some cable around.

But you are going to need to add a new circuit and you wont be able to do it on that old fuseboard.

So a separate 40amp switch fuse will be needed plus some hefty cable.
This is notifiable work and you'll need a registered electrician to do the stuff for you.

Thanks for the response, certainly gives me something to think about. I will get someone in to have a look.

Ban-all-sheds, nowhere in my post did I imply I would be doing anything myself. I simply asked for advice which I have now received. No need for the sarcasm really, was there.

Ban-all-sheds, nowhere in my post did I imply I would be doing anything myself.
Sorry - I must have become confused by the way you said things like "I don't want to start running wires around".

How ridiculous to think that you were asking on a DIY site about wiring you might or might not DIY.

No need for the sarcasm really, was there.
Of course not - you asking if any 32A connectors were rated at more than 32A was perfectly sensible.

The DNO (District Network Operator) who maintain the electrical supply in the area may get involved if neighbours report lights dimming when you compressor starts up. Putting a 9 kW motor on a domestic supply should be cleared with the DNO.

I apologise on your behalf for assuming that then. How foolish it was of me to seek advice on electrics from a forum I thought was frequented by people with knowledge on the subject. Forgive me for not sharing your omniscience.

If I put up a link to fuse which happened to have 3A printed on it and asked if such a thing came in any other size, I wonder if I would have been met with the same stupid response. Muppet :rolleyes:

I got what I came here for, so thank you and goodnight

That's a false analogy.

You did not ask the equivalent of that, you asked the equivalent of "are there any 3A fuses which are rated at more than 3A".

40A, 80A and 100A? I've never seen or heard of these. BS EN 60309 certainly makes no reference to 40A or 80A variants.

You are quite right.

My brain is fried after running garden electrics all day. Yer man's electrician could do it with a 63A connector like:

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/pe...et-240v/dp/PL08974?in_merch=Featured Products

Instead of being negative I will try to be positive. So re-phasing question how do you run a large motor from a single phase supply.

Simple answer you don't the motor runs from a three phase supply from an inverter. Using an inverter you can supply it with single phase 230v and get out three phase with 230v between phases. Some three phase motors are 230v phase to phase wired in delta and 400 volt phase to phase wired in star so can run from an inverter OK.

The inverter can be configured to give the ramp up required so it will not dim the lights too much.

However at this point we turn to the compressor. In the main a reciprocating compressor has a de-load. This stop the compressor making air until it's running direct on line and fully up to speed. There are many ways to do this including stopping the inlet valve opening. There may be an output from the inverter or you may need a timer to delay it making air.

Likely using an inverter the inrush can be reduced to a point where even a 16A supply will work.

Clearly not a DIY job but you state you are not looking at DIY just asking if it can be done.

Cost well three phase motor to start with and an inverter so well over the £100 mark.

As to other methods well yes. But even with a degree in electrical engineering I would not really want to use single phase. Although it can be altered the work involved is not for faint hearted and I would consider the time and energy required to work out how to reduce the single phase load was not worth the cost in my time to work it out.

Using a resistor likely one could reduce the start load and the only problem would be to extend the off load time to match.

Even with commercial compressors using three phase I have too many times had to alter the start process to stop contractors burning out and to ensure trouble free operation. Even on one batching plant used a PLC to control the start/idle/stop sequence. It's not easy and clearly not a DIY job.

However yes it can be done.

if its not too stupid a question, what do you need a compressor that will needs a 40A supply for? there are PLENTY of compressors that will run from a 13A socket, or if you are going to be a heavy user, a 16A socket, even the 1 man mechanics I know only have a 16A compressor.

a motor drawing 40 amps must be a 240 volt 3 phase, a lot of people think if its 240v its single phase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back