Wiring in new lights - g23 fitting - keep blowing, why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some second hand ceiling lights with G23 2-pin bulb fittings. This is the bulb...

http://www.lightingsupply.com/F9BX-827-ECO.aspx

I have very high ceiling so to test them I have attempted to plug them into normal 240v plug by wiring them straight up.

Stand back, plug in, turn on - bulb blows, maybe dodgy bulb so try again - same result. Try with different light, same result.

I cannot find anything to say that these bulbs run off a different voltage. They cannot be connect the wrong way round as you could insert bult either way

What have I done wrong....preparing to be told off here for doing something bad........

Edit - if it makes any difference the lights were bought from a pub

Sponsored Links
Those lamps need a ballast to limit the flow of current and voltage to the lamp, and a starter to actually get the lamp lit in the first place.

This will all be built into the light fitting.

Connecting them straight to the mains will indeed blow the lamp, as you have demonstrated.

Those lamps need a ballast to limit the flow of current and voltage to the lamp, and a starter to actually get the lamp lit in the first place.

This will all be built into the light fitting.

Connecting them straight to the mains will indeed blow the lamp, as you have demonstrated.

Many thanks - I think the bulbs are 'self starting'??....(see about half way down)

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/article/fittings-caps-and-bases/

So is my easiest way to get these working to ditch the G23 bulb connectors and wire in some 'normal' bulb holders? Will the current wiring be 'man enough'??

I do not have anywhere I can easily hide a ballast.

I only got given the lights - they just finish with the wires, no ballast bult in or anything.

Only need a starter for the 4 pin bulbs, 2 pin bulbs what you show have the starter built in the lamp base.

You do need the ballast/ choke unit though.

Sponsored Links
If it is a chandelier, the units would normally have been in the big bit screwed to the ceiling

Just used the connectors from a lamp and wired up a normal bulb - worked fine (I assume i should not need to worry about the wire currently being used in it)

Suits me as I would rather have candle style bulbs anyway.

Thanks all!

Sorry to be lazy but can anyone tell me what I should be googling to find the connectors I need.

Attempting (and failing) to find them on tlc-direct...

Edit: Cancel that - found them!!

What on earth???? :eek:

A light fitting with a G23 connector will have a BUILT IN BALLAST IN THE FITTING (unless some buffoon has cocked up in the past and fitted the wrong lampholder)

A G23 lamp has to be matched to a G23 fitting with a ballast built in!

I dont think you understand what you are doing.

Look at that fitting, and compare it to a standard energy saving lamp. Notice how the BC lamp has a big bulky bit at its base. This is the ballast circuitry, and starts the lamp. Your lamp hasn't got this, therefore it requires a fitting with one built in. I have a desk light that takes G23 lamps, and it has a small black box, vaguely resembles a transformer, at its base.

You cannot replace a G23 lampholder with a standard BC or ES holder. :eek:

There is no ballast.

I'm looking at stripping off all the G23 connectors which will basically leave me with just wires remaining.

Then I will connect up the BC fittings - no ballasts in sight.

I assume that the previous owners had the ballast in the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back