Wiring in Wall Pannels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey

I’m looking to buy some small 4” wall panel displays to put up in each room to give control over the smart lights and other smart bits in the room. Have bought one so far just to test out which is just plugged in to mains but works well.

I’d like them installed on the wall next to the existing light switches.

The panel requires L and N.

I’ve looked at one of my current light switches and looks like I have Live and Switched live behind each one. (Picture attached)

Just wondering what are my best options for wiring these in, Im not 100% sure if these can technically go on the lighting circuit? And if I can I guess without a neutral to the light switch that would be pretty tricky anyway?

Plan to get someone in to do this as it seems it won’t be straight forward but keen to get some idea on what’s best!

Thanks
Marc

IMG_2700.jpeg

(Wires into current switch)

Sponsored Links
They can go on the lighting circuit, but will require a neutral which you don't currently have.

However if the aim is to just have L&N at that switch position it should be straightforward to identify the other end of that switch cable and connect it to L&N - most likely at the existing ceiling light.
The smart lights would then just be connected to L&N at the ceiling as well, no switch required.

If you want a physical switch there as well as the smart panel, then a new cable is required. If it's in conduit then probably easy, if not then chasing out the wall is required.

They can go on the lighting circuit, but will require a neutral which you don't currently have.

However if the aim is to just have L&N at that switch position it should be straightforward to identify the other end of that switch cable and connect it to L&N - most likely at the existing ceiling light.
The smart lights would then just be connected to L&N at the ceiling as well, no switch required.

If you want a physical switch there as well as the smart panel, then a new cable is required. If it's in conduit then probably easy, if not then chasing out the wall is required.
Great thanks this makes sense - if it was the first option to have just L&N at the switch without running a new cable I guess that would mean the lights would have permanent power to them without any room switch control other than controlling them smartly.

This is fine for me (our light switches are actually key switches to stop people accidentally turning them off) and I guess regulation wise as well that’s ok if there’s not actually a light switch to turn them off?

Sponsored Links
I have looked at display panels, or a HMI (Human machine interface) this one
EVO-home1.jpg
for the central heating for example. However where I live there is not reception for FM broadcast radio, so I bought Nest Mini's to listen to radio, but now I have them I am using them for a lot more, how to spell words for example. And also to control lights.

I find the problem is each room tends to have more than one light, my living room has 3 lighting strips and some under ornament lights in my display cabinet, which also if turned up help light the room, a few up lighters, a Christmas lantern, and the main ceiling lights, it is far easier to simply say "hey google turn off living room lights" then go around them all turning them off.

Outside lights are the same, I have around 9 and some are still on mechanical switches, but 6 plus Christmas lights are either smart bulbs or smart switches, so in the house voice command, in the car open google home to turn them on, even when the lights are different makes, google home brings them all together in one app.

I started with Energenie smart switches, but did have some problems, so now use TP-Link (Tapo) smart switches, they have a battery so will work it any bulb, no power to operate switch goes through the bulb, so no problems with bulb staying on dim, or flashing, or shimmer when switched on, and for outside lamps the dust till dawn feature works well.

Bedrooms still use energenie as it has remote controls as well as the phone, so these Remote control.jpgon the bed side table work well, but Tapo also have push buttons, I use one as a door bell. It also logs it has been pressed.

Alexa I think does same as Nest Mini's but I am a cheap skate and the Mini's were cheaper. I tend to use the remote controls, my wife uses voice more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back