wiring lights in singles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, a couple of questions for yous,

1) if you had two different lighting circuits (all emergency lights) in one "big" room could you have one key switch for both or would you have two separate key switches?

2) in a separate "little" room there is a emergency light which is also on one of them circuits but is switched separately

a; would you bring your feed for that switch from the "big" room light switch or
b; would you spur out of the emergency side of the fitting?
c; another way?

Sponsored Links
Different circuits as in supplied from different OCPDs at the DB?

If so, they will need to be switched with individual switches, unless you install a contactor and control circuit.

Would it be possible to switch the two emergencies on the same circuit with the same switch?

If not, you can just take a T&E from the fitting to the test switch as if it were a normal switch on a loop in fitting.

i thought so, yes two separate breakers.

The "little" room has to be switched separately, so would you loop in and out of this fitting and just "spur out" to the switch for the feed or would you loop in and out of the fitting and then loop in and out of the switch. (in singles)

I'd run a perm live down to a grid switch (one normal - one fish key) - perm live to one side of the fish key switch. Outgoing side of fish key link to normal switch and also feed up to light (em supply). Other side of normal switch to run the light normally.

Sponsored Links
what about feeding the other switch in the "little" separate room? from the grid switch or the fitting in the room?

I took it by "singles" in the title you are talking of conduit singles? If so then there is no need to run perm lives to the fittings to run them back to the switches. We just run them direct to the switches.
Remember when using metal conduit to have the wires installed in the conduit as such that the currents cancel each other out to reduce eddys.

Lets start at the start.

I took this thread to be about adding test switches to existing fittings.

So, OP, are you planning on installing some new emergency lighting from scratch utilising singles cables in conduit?

from the fitting would be easier, so what about spurring down to the switch from the fitting or would you loop in and out of the fitting and then loop in and out of the switch to carry on wiring the rest of the lights?

sorry new installation, conduit and lighting trunking

Are the emergency lights non - maintained, maintained or sustained fittings? (I'm assuming self contained fittings)

Are you also wiring normal lights at the same time utilising the same wiring system?

The live feeds should only be at the Mcb's and the keyswitches and switches if any, there should be no need to wire through the lights to get to the switches.

i agree rocky but getting the feed for the little room from the grid switch means pulling another cable 20 odd metres where as if it came from the fitting it'll be around 3 metres. at the end of the day its joining the same cable just not at the switch???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back