wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, when wiring lighting in singles is there a problem with taking an emergency feed for the llights from the switch as well as a looped switch feed to another switch which is on the same circuit but switches another emergency light separately?? (instead of taking the feed for that switch from the emergency light)

Sponsored Links
And where is the key switch for testing going to be wired in? I'm sorry, but I can't visualise what you are trying to do!

i thought it would be hard to visulise, the key switch is next to the normal light switch (2gang) in one room, which does them lights.

Theres a separate switch in a different room with a loop feed going to it from the (2gang) switch, it is still on the same circuit but switches separately?

so effectively you've got two permanent feeds coming out of the 2 gang switch one for the emergency lights and one for the separate switch.

There's no problem in using a loop feed and a permanent feed in one cable as it is the same thing. But as Dave says, you have to consider the keyswitches. Testing one EL will turn off the permanent supply to the other. So it depends on the design of the building whether this is ok. It usually is.

Sponsored Links
What about using two separate cables from the same switch, 1 for the EL and 1 for the feed for the other switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back