Wiring multiple led downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am seeking opinion(s) on the best method for wiring multiple LED down lighters - ie. 2 or more lights on a single switch. I have searched the wiki and cannot find a specific solution.

At the risk of rattling cages I wish to point out I am working under the supervision of an experienced and qualified electrician, but it is his advice that I would like to discuss here.

I have a number of KSR FRD 200 LED down lighters (IP66) and have a number of Ashley J501 boxes. The advice given is to use the Ashley boxes to connect to the first light and then onto the next, etc. However, the manufacturers instructions state that only a single 1.5mm cable should be used per terminal in the Ashley box. For a single light, these appear perfect and enable the connection to be accessed from the 63mm hole.

My thought is that the circuit should start with a 4-way connector to enable the supply in and out and carry the switched live. This then connects to a 3-way j/b and then to the Ashley. The next one connected via the 3-way j/b then to the second Ashley box and so on. This does require a lot of connections, which I guess are undesirable, but this appears to be a 'compliant' (per manufacturer) solution.

I have attached my proposed layout.

Any advice regarding a preferred / authoritative solution would be greatly appreciated. If I have overlooked a similar posting specifically covering this matter, please accept my apologies.

Thank you.
[/img] View media item 74992

Sponsored Links
I don't follow why you need the 3 way junction boxes, can't you just have a switched feed into a J501, a link to the next and one off to a light?

The J501 has three lots of 3 terminals and a single 2 terminal, just use the three lots of 3 terminals. If you want to you could even place a link between the two and the loop so you can use the two terminal for the lamp live but is matterless.

I have a number of KSR FRD 200 LED down lighters (IP66) and have a number of Ashley J501 boxes. The advice given is to use the Ashley boxes to connect to the first light and then onto the next, etc. However, the manufacturers instructions state that only a single 1.5mm cable should be used per terminal in the Ashley box.
I don't really understand your problem:
Is that no enough cables for you?

Kind Regard, John

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys

Thank you for your replies. I have to confess to a mis-reading of the manufacturers directions - the box actually states max 2 cables per terminal.

Spark123 - thank you. I had thought it better to have a secured junction box - and then allow the Ashley to be free to pull down - but I appreciate your advice.

JohnW2 - I have seen this diagram, but surely this shows the wiring for loop in and out / the switched circuit and the feed to the fitting - so it still requires a further cable to loop to the next fitting. Perhaps experience suggests so what - but to my untrained eye, it seems messy. :confused:

Kind regards

The terminals are the internal connections into which you may have one 1.5mm² conductor(wire) or two 1mm² so twenty two wires per box..

The cable clamps can have two cables per clamp so six cables per box but you only want one at the tapered end so five.

JohnW2 - I have seen this diagram, but surely this shows the wiring for loop in and out / the switched circuit and the feed to the fitting - so it still requires a further cable to loop to the next fitting. Perhaps experience suggests so what - but to my untrained eye, it seems messy. :confused:
You just need to wire things slightly different from what that diagram shows. The first one in the chain needs a live feed, a cable to the switch and one to 'loop' to the next (and subsequent) lights - hence three T&E cables in total. However, the 'looping' between lights (which requires only two cables per each subsequent J501, and just one to the last in the line) does not need a permanent live - only a switched live and neutral (plus earth).

Does that make sense?

Kind Regards, John

Yes JohnW2, it does make sense. Thank you and all other contributors, I am the wiser (just!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back