Wiring new boiler thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Goodmorning, I'm trying to replace my old mechanical thermostat with a Moes Wifi thermostat, but i'm struggling to wire it.
Can you please help me?
Thank you
Santo

Sponsored Links
More information required please, like a better photo of this one and a photo of moes wi-fi one (there’s several types iirc).

15743699100817916200797039582658-jpg.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ok, do you have a multimeter or two pole voltage tester? You need to establish if the grey wire is neutral - your moes requires a permanent live an permanent neutral.

I don't have any voltage tester, if can help the grey one was not connected to the previous

Not really, as the previous one might not have needed it. The moes requires a permanent live and permanent neutral connection (L and N). Can you trace the wire? Can’t really assume it’s a neutral connection. Once this is confirmed it’s straight forward from there.

Edited: yep, all you have there is live and switched live.

Brown and black to 1 and 2. But as to 3 and 4 it all depends on if 24 volt or 230 volt control. Boilers have 4 ways to control them.
1) Return water temperature.
2) 230 volt AC on/off
3) Extra low voltage on/off normally around 24 volt.
4) Analogue control normally 0 - 48 volt
Some boilers have all options, some only one. But even the boiler make and model often does not help, it could be either 2 or 3, but we have no idea which. If 230 volt there is a chance the grey can be connected to neutral.

Try with a neon screwdriver, not a good test, but if it lights then you have a chance, if not then likely 24 volt.

As far as I am aware the only wall thermostat with wifi that is 2 wire only is the Nest E.

Not really, as the previous one might not have needed it. The moes requires a permanent live and permanent neutral connection (L and N). Can you trace the wire? Can’t really assume it’s a neutral connection. Once this is confirmed it’s straight forward from there.

Edited: yep, all you have there is live and switched live.

So how the connection should be?

Brown and black to 1 and 2. But as to 3 and 4 it all depends on if 24 volt or 230 volt control. Boilers have 4 ways to control them.
1) Return water temperature.
2) 230 volt AC on/off
3) Extra low voltage on/off normally around 24 volt.
4) Analogue control normally 0 - 48 volt
Some boilers have all options, some only one. But even the boiler make and model often does not help, it could be either 2 or 3, but we have no idea which. If 230 volt there is a chance the grey can be connected to neutral.

Try with a neon screwdriver, not a good test, but if it lights then you have a chance, if not then likely 24 volt.

As far as I am aware the only wall thermostat with wifi that is 2 wire only is the Nest E.

I'm going to buy a neon screwdiver, and i'm gonna check, also if it can help the boiler making is Ideal mini
20201024_112923.jpg

Personally I would go out and purchase a multimeter, and possibly some connector blocks. Place the wires into the separate connector terminals and test between the live (brown) and grey (possible neutral). If 240vac then it can be assumed that the grey is neutral, as we already know the brown is a live, possibly 240vac. Once this is established we can state which wires go where. If you don’t test, we can’t give the best advice. Multimeters are inexpensive, £7.49 from Screwfix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back