Wiring problem..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just bought a flat, and for some reason unbeknown to us the previous owner removed the light fitting just leaving the ceiling rose with four cables coming from the ceiling (currently exposed, but isolated)

I am familiar with electrics, but the confusion is why we have four cables coming from the ceiling.. The light fitting in question is in our hallway, which has two sets of lights, operate by two switches (each switch operates both lights)

None of the cables are colour coded, but I have identified the switched live with a multimeter, and subsequently marked. I now have 3 other blue (live) 3 brown (neutral) and four earth wires. The ceiling rose blocks is as follows ***\***\**.

Wondering if anyone knows the right 'combination of where the wires go as we also have a live and neutral wire from the light fitting itself which of course needs to be wired into the block.. I seem to have too many wires for the block! I have checked all the other ceiling roses for each room, and they are all single switch controlled, and have just one neutral, earth and live as to be expected.

Help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Your four wires are most probably loop in, loop out, switch drop and switched feed out, but as to which is which, bon chance avec votre nouveau multimeter!

Thanks for all the replies so far..

Ive checked all the wires again, and with the electric isolated and the light switch in the 'on' position, I have only one set of cables giving a response therefore the switched live.

None of the diagrams I have seen seem to accommodate for the amount of wires I have left. Wondering if possibly taking a picture of the unit my help anyone else out there?

Thanks

The last cable will goto the 2nd light in the hall.

With the power off.
And the switch off.

You could short out the bulb contacts in the 2nd light if a simple lamp and then work out which of the remaining 3 cables connects to that shorted out light in the same way you have determined the switch cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back