Wiring problem ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :),

Hope someone can help with this one please ??

My main circuit breaker tripped today when I switched the mains switch on to the oven.

I took the switch off and bypassed it to check if the switch was knackered and it tripped again. I then bypassed the wiring from the switch to the oven, and the oven worked ok, so I'm guessing the wiring from the oven mains switch to the oven itself is knackered ??

Although not an electrician, but comfortable with electrics and multimeters, is there any way I can test the wire ?? I checked the continuity and got a tone from the multimeter on both the live and negative, but not when I crossed the wires live to negative. Unfortunately, that's where my skill levels ran out :(.

I'm assuming I need a new bit of wire, but would like to know what would cause it to be defective all of a sudden ??

Any help would be appreciated :)

Graeme.

Sponsored Links
The big, big switch straight after the electricity board side, I.e. - the main circuit breaker that switches off everything in the house.

I'm guessing RCd, any chance of a photo? Does it say 30mA on it anywhere?

Is the offending cable damp or filthy anywhere? Has any work been done on the wall isit buried in?

Sponsored Links
Here’s a couple of pics.

Oven fuse is on the board on the top right, the switch that tripped is bottom right, and there’s a close up for good measure :)

Attachments

• 2A095ABB-4127-4020-B3BC-60401DE68118.jpeg
    2A095ABB-4127-4020-B3BC-60401DE68118.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 324
  • 0EB432DF-6CAE-457D-BFAD-09396E5D0CF3.jpeg
    0EB432DF-6CAE-457D-BFAD-09396E5D0CF3.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 307
yes, looks like the rcd
Is the offending cable damp or filthy anywhere? Has any work been done on the wall isit buried in?

My main circuit breaker tripped today when I switched the mains switch on to the oven.

do you mean when you turned the oven on? Or when you turned on the isolator at the wall but the oven was still turned off?

Do you mean "oven" or "cooker?"

Had the appliance, or the floor, recently been cleaned using water?

Really appreciating the helps here, thanks. Have you guessed yet if I'm a sparky or DIY'er ?? :)

Not when I turned the cooker on, it was the cooker main isolator switch on the wall (240v switch), the cooker works ok now that I've bypassed the offending wire from the isolator switch.

I haven't done any work on or near the wiring, but it's been in for at least 17 years when I moved in here. Can't tell if there's any damp or water behind the plaster and tiles.

You thinking wiring, earth, or water ??

Someone (not the OP!) deserves to be sacked and/or shot ....

upload_2018-5-14_22-55-27.png

... and, although they might well be hidden, can anyone see any sort of earth anywhere?

Kind Regards, John

Someone (not the OP!) deserves to be sacked and/or shot ....

View attachment 141788

... and, although they might well be hidden, can anyone see any sort of earth anywhere?

Kind Regards, John

What have you spotted John ?? They put that digi meter in a few years ago now.

And as for the rest of the 'lectrics, they'll all be getting fettled when I retire in a couple of years and get my extension done :)

What have you spotted John ?? They put that digi meter in a few years ago now.
None of the red and black inner insulations of those cables should not be exposed and visible outside of the enclosures they go into. One sometimes sees tiny glimpses of a little red/black, but that black one on the left (where it comes out of their service fuse) is particularly ridiculous - and none of them is really acceptable.

Kind Regards, John
Edit: another crucial typo corrected - my apologies

Last edited:
I wouldn’t wait a couple of weeks.
The old VoELCB needs replacement. The earthing needs sorting out, and there’s a potential of a line/neutral reversal.
Get yourself an electrician to look at all of that. He can resolve your suspect faulty cable at the same time.

PS the earth will probably be at the VoELCB. And probably connected to an earth rod outside the house, somewhere. It’s worth finding if your supply can be converted to what is known as TNC-S.

Isn't that a VOELCB, and as such, long overdue for replacement?
It looks as if it could well be. It looks as if there's some writing down in the bottom right of the cover, which I can't read - and we really need to know what it says.

Kind Regards, John
Edit: crucial typo corrected

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back