Wiring professional washing machine to mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a second-hand Miele professional washing machine - the proper heavy duty type that's designed to run all day every day. I've wired a normal 13A plug onto the cable and plugged it into the wall.

The problem I have is that about once every 4 or 5 washes, it blows the 13A fuse in the plug when heating up the water.

Now I know that these professional washing machines take a lot more current than domestic machines. Neither the manual or the machine state the maximum current, but its obviously more than 13A!!

If I was to wire it directy into a fused spur (instead of a plug), will I be able to put a higher rated fuse in it? Or is this naughty?

FYI, the washing machine is in a utility room with its own dedicated 30A ring. The only other appliance in the room is a fridge-freezer, so I shouldn't be overloading the ring....

Chris

Sponsored Links
you cant get a bigger than 13a fuse to go into a fcu.

there must me some rating on the m/c

GW240SLASH16SLASH3S.jpg

or

GW240SLASH32SLASH3S.jpg

you are not supposed to take any more than a 13A load from a ring so a dedicated cuircuit is a requirement

without knowing the rating its not possible to advise on installation of this

can you find a model number on your waching machine if so check out
http://www.miele.co.uk/ and see if you can find details on it there

BAS i really don't see the need for 32A sockets in a domestic environment
after all even if you used one you couldn't plug your washing machine in anywhere else anyway

Sponsored Links
Had another look, and finally found the data plate (on the inside of the door, of all places...)

230V
4950W (!!)
Use 25A fuse

No wonder its blowing a 13A fuse!

So what's the best way to wire this in, then? A dedicated circuit from the consumer unit, like a power shower?

Chris

did the washing machine come with flex fitted?
and what size flex is it?

i'd treat it like an electric cooker

32A breaker
6mm cable (10mm may be a good diea in case someone wants to use the cuircuit for a large cooker in future)
cooker control unit
more cable as above
cooker outlet plate
flex or cable to appliance preferablly at least 4mm 2.5mm is right on the edge

Plug

2.5 flex rated at 25A. VD not an issue as length so short - not going to be more than 3m flex.

yes exactly my point

feeding a 25A appliance of a 32A (next availible size) breaker with a flex rated at exactly 25A while just about acceptable seems to be cutting it a bit fine to me

and even if your board manufacturer does make them (mk don't, hager do ,get don't) you will probablly have a hell of a time getting one

securespark said:
Where do you go for electrical gear, then?
Good question, if he's having difficulty getting a 25A Type B then.......(cue BAS!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back