Wiring - replace electronic dimmer with switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning, happy new year. My electronic dimmers are not rated for LED bulbs so I bought a switch to replace it, and figure could then replace the halogen bulb (with transformer of course). In the dimmer there are 2 brown wires going into L and and 1 brown wire going into a curvy cross which the Schneider manual says is switch live. The regular switch I bought has 3 options: 1 way, 2 way, and COM. Can anyone translate please? There is only 1 switch to the light so I ignore 2 way I think. thanks!

Sponsored Links
Gavin
Keep the 'two wires' together, do not separate these.

The 'two wires' into COM and the other 'one wire' into '1'.
If the switch is then upside down (some prefer button to be pressed in at top when light of off), then:
Leave the wires in COM and move the other wire from '1' into '2'.

(note that if wire length is an issue you can instead put the 'one wire' into COM and the other 'two wires' into '1'.)

As an explanation, COM is the fixed point for the switch mechanism and does not change. When you move the switch the internal metal (fixed to Com) then moves between '1' and '2'.
Screenshot 2020-01-02 at 13.23.36.png

SFK

Last edited:
Hi SFK, I did that and worked perfectly first time! Learned something new also..many thanks and happy new year :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back