wiring this light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am putting a downright in my conservatory. I am wiring it into a plug which will obviously go in the mains socket.

Is it a simple case of connecting the live and neutral wires (there is no section for earth wire on the light unit) to the appropriate part of the plug and light unit.

Please see pictures

Sponsored Links
You really should use 2-core flex if the appliance doesn't require an earth, or alternatively terminate the earth wire in an individual section of terminal strip. I note that you've damaged the insulation on the live wire when you removed the outer sheath. You will have to cut these ends off to give you suitable lengths of undamaged tails.
What means is provided for clamping the cable.

You really should use 2-core flex if the appliance doesn't require an earth, or alternatively terminate the earth wire in an individual section of terminal strip. I note that you've damaged the insulation on the live wire when you removed the outer sheath. You will have to cut these ends off to give you suitable lengths of undamaged tails.
What means is provided for clamping the cable.

Thanks for the reply
By clamping down the cable, what do you mean? I will just put the ends into the plastic bit and screw down to hold it in place? Sorry if I misunderstand

Thanks for your help

If there is no clamp to hold the flex in place and the flex gets pulled, the leads could pull out of the terminations. These are not designed to act as pull-out restraints.
On the basis that you intend to wire the light via a flex to a 13A plug implies that the cable cannot be considered a "fixed" installation and as such a means of cable anchoring within the appliance is required.

Sponsored Links
Make sure the fuse in the plug is no more than 3amp.

PS That's not a downlight (or a downright!)…..

You really should use 2-core flex if the appliance doesn't require an earth.

shake%20head.gif

411.3.1.1 A circuit protective conductor shall be run to and terminated at each point in wiring and at each accessory except a lampholder having no exposed-conductive-parts and suspended from such a point.

No what?

No, a 2-core cable should not be used?

No, the Wiring Regulations should not be followed?

No, you don't have a clue?

Why?

Because I said that a 2-core cable should not be used because that contravenes the Wiring Regulations?

Please provide a rational and intelligent explanation,

Regardless of what you think of Ban, his advice here is correct.

But it is not great catastrophe, because marky has 3 core any way.

All he need do is remove the damaged portions of conductor, connect the cpc into a spare choc block, find a way to fit strain relief onto the flex, protect the flex appropriately with the correct BS1362 fuse, make sure the flex is adequately protected and supported on its route back to the socket and he's away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back