wiring three lights to a single switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is an existing single light in my loft, it looks like it is supplied via a junction box tapped into the upstairs lighting circuit.

i.e. a three way JB with a supply cable then going to a pull cord switch with a pendant light next to it.

The pendant light fitting and pull cord switch are located directly above the hatch in the centre of the loft, i would like to add a further light at each end of the loft so i can see into these dark corners too.

Is it just a case of putting a couple of extra cables into the existing light fitting.

All of the light bulbs in my house are now of the compact flourescent , low wattage, energy saving type.

The 3 in the loft will be 7w units.

Sponsored Links
Find the neutral and switched live at the existing pendant, tap of these in 1.0mm TE to each of the new lamps- job done.

7w lamps aren't very bright and lofts tend to need more light- I'd go further up the cfl watt range.

Find the neutral and switched live at the existing pendant, tap of these in 1.0mm TE to each of the new lamps- job done.

7w lamps aren't very bright and lofts tend to need more light- I'd go further up the cfl watt range.

Cheers Chris,

I'd already set aside a couple of lengths of spare T&E in anticipation of doing this, but thought i'd double check.

The 2 new 7w lamps and pendants are sitting on the table right next to me so that decision was already made :) , two new 7w lights are better than no lights :D

Sponsored Links
The 7w lights are now in two bedside table lamps and the loft now has 3 x 11w CFL's fitted .

7w lamps aren't very bright and I needed more light up in the loft :D !

The existing light used 2.5 T&E which was a bit heavy for squeezing a couple of extra lights so i re-did the whole lot in 1.0mm. I still didn't think there was enough room for everything inside the ceiling rose so i put the new 1.0mm spur cable and the 1 way switch cable into a 20 amp 4 terminal JB and then connected the three seperate lamp cables into this, far more room to squeeze all them wires in and the wiring terminals are physically larger.

Had to kill a few Wasps too that had decided to make my loft home....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back