Wiring to Electric Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am currently considering purchasing an Electric Induction Hob, but would like confirmation on the maximum power hob I should buy without me needing to get people in to upgrade the circuit.

I already have a cooker circuit routed through to my kitchen which uses 6mm T&E cable, connected to my (black Wylex) fusebox at a 30A fuse.

The Cooker Control Unit has a combined socket which is used (mainly for a slow cooker, rated at 230v ~ 240v, 106w - 115w). Although I imagine it may be used for appliances with more power from time to time.

The fusebox doesn't have any spare slots for any more circuits.

The Cooker Control Unit is about 2-3 feet away from where I intend to put the new hob, so I don't imagine this will be a problem.

If I bought a 7.2kw max rated hob, I would have assumed this could draw the maximum 30A current on it own (regardless of the socket usage). However, I've seen various questions on this forum that suggest "Diversity" calculations of 10A + 30% remainder + 5A (for socket). This seems a bit low (and maybe dangerous) to me.

Using the above calculation, I believe the "diversity current usage" for a 7.2kw hob with a socket on the CCU would give 21A current draw.

Regardless of all the above, my question is "What is the max power rating hob I should install without needing to get someone in?"

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Sponsored Links
PS - I've just calculated the maximum using the diversity calculation and it gives a maximum allowable power rating of 14.4kw (for the hob). This just sounds far too high to be on a 30A cooker circuit with a socket.

Please all feel free to tell me I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about, but please correct me if that's the case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back