Wiring up RCD/RCCB?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hello - just want to double check I am wiring this RCD/RCCB correctly only its only got 'N' stamped on the left hand side. - it is feed/supply from top and Load from bottom isnt it?
Thanks.

RCCB.jpg

17201447_10211537982659030_8298308053869889560_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Couple of points:

"Supply" is usually the term for your 'feed'.
The "Load" N (that you have called supply) goes to the Neutral bar.

The copper busbar will be fitted into the Load L of the RCD.

Have you graduated from interest to something more ambitious?

I would also say we really have no idea what is actually inside a RCD, these
full
have some very cleaver circuits, OK can't be used on domestic, but although we know the principal we don't know what is really inside. The spark arrestors could mean with DC models link here to types it may matter which way round, and with functional earths as used with many RCBO's it will also matter, plus some RCBO's are duel pole sensing on the RCD, part but not on the MCB part.

However with the one you show it is unlikely to be a problem, as long as you test with a RCD tester after installed it should be OK. However where the problem lies is some one latter could well read the N and end up connecting something at a latter date wrong way around.

I have connected line 2 to the pin marked N on 100's of yellow 16A plugs and sockets, I am sure everyone does the same, in the UK it is rare to have a 110 volt supply with a neutral, so can't say you should never connect a line to neutral terminal, but I would try ones best not to.

I have not got amendment 3 where I am told there is a change to rules about following manufacturers instructions, but until that was released, to maintain the type testing of a consumer unit in the main your not permitted to mix and match, so you can only use an ESR RCD in an ESR consumer unit, so I googled ESR RCD and found this picture
17th-Edition-Unit.jpg
OK not metal so can't use them in most places, but the position shown for the RCD you will note is to the left of the MCB's which would put the N on the correct side.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

The OP is in Sligo. IT IS ILLEGAL FOR ANYONE OTHER THAN A REGISTERED ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR (REC) TO DO THIS WORK. YOU MUST NOT WIRE THIS YOURSELF AS YOU WILL BE BREAKING THE LAW BY DOING SO AND ARE LIABLE TO PROSECUTION.

Visit www.reci.ie to find an REC in your area.

Hello - just want to double check I am wiring this RCD/RCCB correctly only its only got 'N' stamped on the left hand side. - it is feed/supply from top and Load from bottom isnt it?
Thanks.

View attachment 115353

You must not attempt this. This comes within the definition of Restricted Electrical Works from the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER).

IMPORTANT NOTE:

The OP is in Sligo. IT IS ILLEGAL FOR ANYONE OTHER THAN A REGISTERED ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR (REC) TO DO THIS WORK. YOU MUST NOT WIRE THIS YOURSELF AS YOU WILL BE BREAKING THE LAW BY DOING SO AND ARE LIABLE TO PROSECUTION.

ok then i will get an electrician to do it then , a bit strong wording there! - in any case i thought it was law that if you get someone in to do electrical work the electrician must be registered to do the work by law .. but as I say when it comes to it i will get a registered electrician to carry it out. At least its quelled my curiosity to how its wired up correctly thanks ...

a bit strong wording there! - in any case i thought it was law that if you get someone in to do electrical work the electrician must be registered to do the work by law
It's not strongly worded - it is simply a statement of fact.

Certainly if you get someone in to do the work they must be an REC, however there is NO LEGAL EXEMPTION FOR DIY. In other words, if you are not an REC then you may not do this even if it is in your own home.

As a member of RECI and an REC I am regularly inspected, must be insured and have Wiring Rules, test equipment etc. and certain other things - also I need to have a valid QC (Qualified Certifier) Number.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

How many people have been prosecuted so far?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back