wish me luck..

I don't have the self confidence or business know how to go proper self employed..
I was "self employed" for about 4 years but that was all just subby stuff to other companies usually through an agency so it only involved me turning up where told and sending in a time sheet every week... no touting for jobs or planning or any of the paperwork side..
I'm also pretty useless at estimating the time a job would take.. I'm either way over ( so I'd be over quoting ) or way under ( so I'd be losing money )..

Sponsored Links
Coljack firstly sorry to hear about the interview result. However i have read many of your responses to questions on this forum and i have probably benefited from a few. So i know you know your stuff.
I dont know your current situation, your qualifications etc etc so just a thought if you are looking for work now.

Bear with me!!

Quite a few people on here like me have retrained to become an "electrician". I absolutely agree with everyone that having gone through a short training period no way can i call myself an electrician and no way can i claim the level of experience a time served sparks has got.

Even newly qualified full time served apprentices need help/advice and mentoring on site and off.
Personally i was very comfortable with going out trying to find business and did so. In the first month or so I was presented with a complete rewire opportunity. This came from recomendation from another client who i had done work for.

Got the certs got the calculations got the testing got the kit butI was absolutely in no way sufficiently experienced to do a full rewire by myself.. Not so much the electrics but more the best way to run wires, get behind tiles without wrecking the place but in all honesty as this was the first such job a second opinion that my thoughts on circuit design ,capacity etc was right or not ,would be a great comfort.So i called a local spark and said you come with me, give the quote you take the money but work with me on site and give me the benefit of your knowledge and experience. He was happy to do so and it worked well for both of us. He a couple of grand richer :cool: me a wealth of experience gained over a week. I still will call him in on other jobs if there is something where i feel i need the benefit of his experience and he now uses me on some work where he needs an extra body "who doesnt have the attitude that they know everything and is willing to work"

So to the point. Why not offer your services as a roaming sparks who will for a to be agreed share of the job profit/fee help advise newbie electricians. Can you do this via this forum ? You're well known and respected and people would probably be happy to use you. You dont need the self confidence and as long as you can agree a price and keep a bank account its about all you need.
:)
Good luck with whatever route you decide to go.

Sorry to hear Coljack, keep trying though and something will come up eventually
How far are you willing to travel or relocate to?

Unlucky my son.

Keep on bashing away though, summat will come up.

Have you been back in touch with the agency you subbied for?

Sponsored Links
yup, once a month I phone round the agencies askign about vacancies and reminding them I'm looking if anything comes up..

doing an "on spec" session wednesday at the job club.. got to bring in a list of 50 addresses to send out spec letters to to see if they have vacancies and to bear me in mind if they have one come up..

we'll see how it goes..

did the spec letters yesterday, got a phonecall today at about 10am, arranged and interview for this afternoon at 14:00...

thought it went well, we'll see in a few days.. :)

so for those who are out of work, spec letters do work and are worth a try.. it got me one more interview than I would have had otherwise if nothing more..

wohoo!!!..

start Monday at 8 am.. weeks trial to see how I get on..

I gotta round all my tools up now then.. they've been spreading out round the house for the past 18 months...

I'm thinking that half bottle of Malibu inthe fridge might be a good idea... what do we recon chaps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back