WM into 32mm waste (short run)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm looking to relocate my washing machine into a large airing cupboard now the old HW cylinder has been removed. I have a cold water feed and electricity already, but no waste pipe. The bathroom is situated right next door, with the wash basin very close to the dividing wall.

I have a "universal bottle anti-syphon trap" that can connect to the 32mm basin waste, and either 32mm or 40mm waste pipe. The current 32mm waste drops about 60cm, then 1.5-2m into the soil stack...

I have referred to the WM manual, it states nothing about the waste pipe size requirements.

To replace the waste pipe to 40mm will require removal of the boxing in to access the soil stack etc.

Is it worth it? Will such a short run cause problems? Most washes are short cool washes...

I could install an access an access point to deal with any potential blockages.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Its not really blockages you have to worry about, its how quickly and how much water the washing machine pumps out. Is there anything in the wm manual about discharge rate? (Litres per minute and volume discharged)
EDIT A bottle trap would be unwise for a washing machine, a U bend presents much less resistance to water flow

+1. Washing machines need a minimum of 40 mm diameter waste to handle the volume of water being discharged, 32mm is unlikely to be able to take the flow, and as the pipe slowly gunges up, the first you'll know there's an issue, is when it overtops and floods the place.

In your situation you'll need a standpipe to hook the discharge hose into, these are only available in 40mm, and reducing that into 32mm will be your first point of restriction. NOT advised, you need to run in 40mm to the stack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back