woman in need of advice

2004_1016Image0002special.JPG

Sponsored Links
key_monkey, I can see both postings of your images, so I'm not sure why others can't. From what you've shown there is definitely something missing - you should, indeed, have two cables at the switch position. Now the cable at the shower looks to have white sheathing, whereas the one at the switch is definitely grey. Is the bathroom on the first floor, in which case, can you get into the loft to see if the other end of the white sheathed cable is there?

dingbat said:
key_monkey, I can see both postings of your images, so I'm not sure why others can't. From what you've shown there is definitely something missing - you should, indeed, have two cables at the switch position. Now the cable at the shower looks to have white sheathing, whereas the one at the switch is definitely grey. Is the bathroom on the first floor, in which case, can you get into the loft to see if the other end of the white sheathed cable is there?

I could had it not beedn for hubby boarding up the whole loft, so we agree that there should be 2 lots of wires at the switch end?? It could be that my ar*ehole father in law poked it back up! Whilst taking year to do our bathroom which he said would take "next to no time"

Sponsored Links
i can see your pic fine, there is definitely a set of wires mising from your switch and your cable in your shower is a different colour to the one in the switch. be extremely careful,why dont you get your spark friend to take a look at it.

egghead said:
i can see your pic fine. the pic of the switch you show is totally unsuitable for a shower, it is not a double pole switch nor is the cable going to it 10mm. showers are not a diy job, i would advise you to seek a spark.

It looks like exactly like a 45A DP ceiling switch to me - the absence of two cables is the problem here. And although it only looks like 6sqmm cable, its suitability depends on the rating of the shower. (But I do agree that it is looking more likely a spark may need to be called)

dingbat said:
egghead said:
i can see your pic fine. the pic of the switch you show is totally unsuitable for a shower, it is not a double pole switch nor is the cable going to it 10mm. showers are not a diy job, i would advise you to seek a spark.

It looks like exactly like a 45A DP ceiling switch to me - the absence of two cables is the problem here. And although it only looks like 6sqmm cable, its suitability depends on the rating of the shower. (But I do agree that it is looking more likely a spark may need to be called)

The switch was provided by a spark, so I ahve no worries there.

Think I will calll him out after all then, any rough idea of costs?

I can see the pics......you have a cable missing....time to get dirty in the loft....

you can see the pics because key_monkey has taken my advice and is using a 3rd party to host them

Ah well, they are there now.

Advice the same.......missing cable. (from shower to switch.)

pipme, you are a bit late, :cry: the reason you can see the pics is because key_monkey has taken advice and IS NOW hosting the pics on darkernet (but she did that with in an hour of her first post)

Yes ... saw that, eventually .. did anyone 'right click' view properties .. that was some address !! the M$ one !! :D

After viewing all that stuff ... I am sticking with the raised loft supply tank and the old Mira Excel ... still working perfectly after 6 or 7 yrs good drenching .. hard water area .. several teenager virtual drowings by the day ... Safe as houses
No matter what the electrical resistance of water, it does not mix with electricity ... simple !! (no doubt too simple for some)
;)

Just logged in and a great pic of shower unit (inside all look similar) but you must say what KW output the shower unit is. this then determines the size of cable required eg the old shower may have been a lower KW and required smaller cable..one assumes that the supply cable is still there and goes to the consumer unit (assuming you have a consumer unit) and that the RCD it is connected to is 30A..The cable size should be at least 6mm2 and preferably 10mm2 (to allow for larger capacty showers) your 25a pull switch therefore will have 3 leads in (from the CU) and three leads out (to the shower) the switch being double pole will break the circuit in both live and neutral wires and of course the earths will be connected..Ideally the shower units main body (as with any metal pipes in the bathroom ) should be connected to a known earth seperate from the earthing wire within twin and earth cables

desmitch, I said about shower rating (kw)on first page this thread

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back